Tempest/Sea Fury

Hi All,

Unfortunately I am in a place where I have no access to my references, so forgive me for using you in this way.

I need to know if it is possible to use a Hawker Sea Fury wing, obviously removing the l/e intakes, for a Tempest V conversion. Is the chord & span similar, is the u/c track the same, aerolons & flaps etc ? They both appear to have the same eliptical planform. I guess I'm just looking for an easy route to finally having a Tempest V !

thank you in anticipation.

Stuey

Putting it simply, no, unless you fancy a lot of work. The Tempest was 41'0" wingspan, and the Sea Fury was 38' 4.5". If you look at the underside, on the Tempest the wheels, when retracted, are still separated by the width of the fuselage; on the Sea Fury, they're only separated by a fairly narrow wall (rather like the P-51.) Basically, they took the Tempest, and chopped out the centre-section to get the Sea Fury.

Edgar

Putting it simply, no, unless you fancy a lot of work. The Tempest was 41'0" wingspan, and the Sea Fury was 38' 4.5". If you look at the underside, on the Tempest the wheels, when retracted, are still separated by the width of the fuselage; on the Sea Fury, they're only separated by a fairly narrow wall (rather like the P-51.) Basically, they took the Tempest, and chopped out the centre-section to get the Sea Fury.

Thanks Edgar,so theoretically if I reinserted the area between the wheel wells then this would give me the required increase in span ?

Stuey

basically you would have to force marriage the fury with a typhoon. You would have to use the underside of the wing/fuselage to widen the wings and fill in the resulting space on the top. You would have to length the Typhoon fuselage at the nose and a bit on the tail and rework the fin and horizontal stabilizers.

As was mentioned it is a lot of work as l have been investigating such as build myself.

Mean while Derek our man is doing masters for a Tempest V as we speak. So Derek how is that going??

basically you would have to force marriage the fury with a typhoon. You would have to use the underside of the wing/fuselage to widen the wings and fill in the resulting space on the top. You would have to length the Typhoon fuselage at the nose and a bit on the tail and rework the fin and horizontal stabilizers.

As was mentioned it is a lot of work as l have been investigating such as build myself.

Mean while Derek our man is doing masters for a Tempest V as we speak. So Derek how is that going??

Hello Stuey - Nice to hear from you again. Both Dave and Edgar are correct. If you can find my Tempest thread, you will notice that I essentialy chopped up two Typhoon fuselages to gain one lengthened Tempest fuselage (it is pretty straigh forward as fuselage conversion work goes). It is not at all impossible to rework fury wings back into Tempest items - there are many ways of reinstating the centre section (Loic did a very impressive scratch building job of his with a mix of a new centre section and modified Spitfire wings for outer panels!)...It is definately 'Doable'.

Good luck

Derek

Hi Derek,

It`s good to hear from you too.

Thanks for the info, I too have been planning this project for a few years now and feel it is time to, at least, begin.

Am I right in thinking the MDC Tiffie has the larger Tempest tailplanes ? The fuselage stretching doesn`t seem all that difficult,

it was the wings that have held me back.

Mark, thank you too and I will PM you my address.

Thanks again guys

Stuey

Stuey: It is a while since I last checked - But from memory, I seem to recal that the MDC Typhoon is fitted with the standard small tailplane (I am that this is one of the tasks I still have to do!).

Mark: Lovely conversion - I like it a lot :evil_laugh:

Cheers

Derek

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to Tempest/Sea Fury