New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

Tony,thanks for the comments and again,the cool piccies. Nice looking bird in the sun! I got yer round intakes already on the new nacelle part. I will have to add the scoop within the scoop after I cast them and hollow out my copy. Good detail though.

I just got some great intel about the cockpit from a very knowlegable guy concerning the stowage. It's a great P-38 day. Got some honey-dues to dispatch so maybe pics tonight? In between the newest episode of the "Pacific"of course.

J

Be careful Harv. The late model that you are doing has a little different engine that theH model in that museum! Just keepin it real.

Here is the boom with the new stuff just sitting there and not glued on yet. Starting to look like an E/F now?

001-21.jpg

JR,

Beautiful work Dude...as usuall. It doesnt look like a Mustang but Im sure it will once its done...

:)

Geoff

Thanks man! Looking forward to the contest. This is actually a P-51T. The ultra rare twin boom version of the Mustang!

J

Hi Jerry,

Nice work Bro...Nice to see that you are nailing this one down! (I bet you are really enjoying this build - the difference between making something for yourself for a change instead of pattern making can be really liberating!). Keep up the good work Jerry :hmmm:

Regards

Derek

OK Tony,I get the hint! I looked at my boom intake again after closely checking out these pics here and the drawing from Aeorodetail and decided that I needed to re-shape mine. Mine are too long,not rounded off enough and the gate opening has the wrong dimensions. Back to the drawing table. One step forward,two steps back. Making progress though.

J

The scoop still needs to be faired into the boom on top and the intake opening needs to be rounded off more after it is attached with putty but you get the side view OK. I also removed the tail fin as there was just too much work trying to save the old Revell one.

J

That's looking much better Jerry! :speak_cool:

Dont give up..Rome wasn't built in a day, and I imagine the "punch list" at the end was pretty long too! :hmmm:

Heck my P-38 is starring at me in contempt because I keep finding "single's" to work on...

Best of luck Bubba, we are all watching

Paul

Great work Jerry. I hope you did not take my posting those pictures as critiscism of your previous work as it was not. You have done such a great job of the other parts so far that I wanted to give you the tools to carry that on in the rest of the build.

The shape and contours of the early P-38 coolant radiators is a mark so often missed by mainstream kit manufacturers because they have tried to alter their late representations to suit, and that just doesn't work.

Your model is a real tribute to how beautifull the early P-38 was in line and form, just trying to help a little.

As you know, even the smallest details are often not quite how the model makers try to show them, as seen in parts like the elevator weights.

100_0535.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Great work Jerry. I hope you did not take my posting those pictures as critiscism of your previous work as it was not. You have done such a great job of the other parts so far that I wanted to give you the tools to carry that on in the rest of the build.

The shape and contours of the early P-38 coolant radiators is a mark so often missed by mainstream kit manufacturers because they have tried to alter their late representations to suit, and that just doesn't work.

Your model is a real tribute to how beautifull the early P-38 was in line and form, just trying to help a little.

As you know, even the smallest details are often not quite how the model makers try to show them, as seen in parts like the elevator weights.

100_0535.jpg

Cheers

Tony

No worries Tony.

My intakes were obviously wrong looking and I was very thankful for all of the great pics from different angles that you posted. I would like to get this right! It started out as a cockpit project but now I am really far far past that point. You can see the boom does not even closely resemble the revell one any more.

The up-shot of all of these corrections is that when I get my kit finished I will know what it takes to build a correct backdate set? I'm hoping for that anyway.

J