Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

Combi

This is a fascinating thread! Your detailing and painting techniques are very well done and I absolutely love your weathering, thank you for sharing your work. This is an incredible model and I am enjoying seeing it very much. :goodjob:

• 1 month later...

A lot of time later :rolleyes: ...some advances

The undersides are near completion, I must apply decals and posibly more oil stains in the center wing. Finally I complete the ailerons, just profiling with oil, a touch with airbrush in the wing joint and some stains. The idea is that the ailerons have a different look that the rest of the wing.

I started with the camouflage weathering, first in the gray color...it´s still in a initial stage.

First I worked with the base color lightened with XF-19 and XF-66, making random spots and "shading" some rivet lines. With a darker mix I made random spots too, some of them over the previous and "shading" again other rivet lines...Perhaps it look no sense but, when I begin to paint, is the kit who "talks" to me :rolleyes:

The idea is to create a "3D effect" in some panels to make it look like a stressed skin...I´m note sure how it will end.

I think my english is getting worse... :BANGHEAD2:

Hope you like it

Panzacasicompleta1.jpg

Panzacasicompleta2.jpg

Panzacasicompleta3.jpg

Panzacasicompleta4.jpg

Panzacasicompleta5.jpg

Trabajocamuflaje1.jpg

Trabajocamuflaje2.jpg

Trabajocamuflaje3.jpg

Trabajocamuflaje4.jpg

Guest Ta152H1

Absolutely Stunning!Weathering is spot on and your build is very,very inspirational!

Thank you for sharing it!

Cheers

Lou

Edited by Ta152H1

• 1 month later...

Juan, that's a fantastic bit of model-making. I've just gone through this whole thread and found it inspirational as well as informative. I'm making the Tamiya Spit at the moment, I've converted it to an "E" wing model using the Alley Cat resin set and it's very nearly at the painting stage. I'm not sure if I'll get mine anywhere near as good-looking as yours but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I do have a question that I can't seem to resolve using my refs so I'll post it here and hope for an answer.

In the kit there are a couple of unused parts that look like small hooks. In a couple of pics I've noticed that something very similar to these appears to be mounted under the belly, just behind and to each side of the carby intake. I can't figure out what they are but I'm guessing they might have something to do with the slipper tank mounting. My question is:- Does anyone know for certain what they are and were they fitted to all airframes or only fitted when the slipper tank was carried?

Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, best regards, David.

In the kit there are a couple of unused parts that look like small hooks. In a couple of pics I've noticed that something very similar to these appears to be mounted under the belly, just behind and to each side of the carby intake. I can't figure out what they are but I'm guessing they might have something to do with the slipper tank mounting. My question is:- Does anyone know for certain what they are and were they fitted to all airframes or only fitted when the slipper tank was carried?

Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, best regards, David.

I think about these hooks when I received the kit. I didn´t see them mounted in any photo, so my idea is the same: they are mounted only when the slipper tank was carried. Pehaps a Spitfire expert could help us.

Well, thanks to all for your kind words. As always I don´t have all the time I liked to progress with my Spit (work, holidays, Xmas), but now it must be finished in 2 or 3 weeks max :rolleyes:

Last weekend I begun to paint seriously and I finish the work with the green color, airbrushing about five different green mixes, trying to create the same 3D effect I tried with the grey. Green was highlighted with another ligth green and darkened with black green, finally adding a drop of pure black. As always mixes are very diluted, very low pressure and very close airbrush nozzle.

I insisted in the wing roots, cockpit sides an in the area where the exhaust smoke will be painted, as a base for it.

These work in the camouflage colors is not too hard so it´s just a base for the "real" weathering that will come.

Next step was to paint all the roundels, codes and walkway black lines. maskings are easy to do but the circles are hard to centre. Maskings are cut from airbrush masking paper, except the code letters, cutted in Tamiya masking tape.

Tonight I promise to put all the colors I used in roundels and the green weathering. Propeller and rudder are nt glued yet, just used to see the general effect. Some photos are horrible, but I was doing some experiments with my camera.

Well, this afternoon I will airbrush clear barnish just in the small areas where I will add a stencil.

Hope you like it.

Juan

20100603081128639_0003.jpg

My Spit...

34-3.jpg

...and a inspiring picture ;)

003-1.jpg

Escarapelas4.jpg

Escarapelas3-1.jpg

Escarapelas2-1.jpg

Escarapelas1-1.jpg

Escarapelas5.jpg