Norwegian F-16A

Whew! I've gotta go to bed and rest up for whacking on the wings tomorrow. It'll be FRIDAY!!!! Got the weekend to do some more damage to this thing,....so I'd better split and ponder my next moves. More pics on this as things progress.

post-4413-1269605293.jpg

Oh yeah, this one's for Derek. Just had to get the F-5 out and lay it over my newest X-29 plans with the wings and elevators swapped,....just as an experiment mind you....to see what it'd look like. Glad I did, as I found my SR-71 closed lid afterburner cans in the box! B) Thanks Derek! I really need to get a secretary to keep track of all my junk. :beer: Now if I can only find that xtra J-79 afterburner I had to put on the back of this thing. Hmmmm. Gota scram, see ya'll tomorow, eh?! Later, Russ

post-4413-1269605510.jpg

I really need to get a secretary to keep track of all my junk. :thumbsup: Now if I can only find that xtra J-79 afterburner I had to put on the back of this thing. Hmmmm.

...PhilB seems pretty good at recruiting suitable candidates; Even if they do speak with a Brazilian accent! :lol:...

Derek

Russ,

Just like Derek says, just let me know what you want fella!

With regard to the build, I can't wait to see where this is going and what it will end up as?

This is as mad as a box full of frogs!!!!!

Ps Russ, one of your neighbours sent me this photo of you trimmin' yer hedge!

post-13803-1269688624.jpg

Phil :BANGHEAD2:

Bahahahaha! You ARE incorrigible Phi. :lol: Of course, if that WAS me....I woulda had my sombrero afixed at a jaunty angle with the mower turned on it's side to trim the sides too! A low level pass with an F-4U Corsair woulda been quicker for that top part,...but the neighbors would've called the bobbies if I'd of landed, folded the wings and taxied around the sides to get the edges trimmed? Yeah, I was going to try for a mail-order Russian bride for a secretary, but figured after her first week in the U.S. she'd watch 'Oprah' and decide her new station in life was beneath her. I'm holdng out for one of those Bolivian lucha-libre wrestler women with the ruffled skirts and cool bowler hats. Now THAT'S the ticket! :rofl:

Uhhhh, where wuz I? :) Aaaaaah yes.....figuring out a way to slap some wings on this dung-heap. Have to admit I didn't have a clue on how I was going to do this. Figured it'd just come to me eventually if I started tacking pieces together. Heh heh, it worked! :unsure: So far anyway. These wings are sorta convoluted in shape thru their entire span, with (I believe) an under-camber on the bottom on their leading edge and a droop towards the outside tips like the SR-71 with a subtle upsweep on the rear edges. Hmmmmm, so I've devised a new (for me) technique of 'free-forming' this wing from the outside in. :whistle: Yeah, I'm on thin ice here. Had to spend another $2.50 for some sheets of .015 styrene, GAAAAAAHHH!, to try and pull this off. Little bit of warping, twisting, and some slight laminations should get me close to what I'm looking for. Here's where I was last night; Started from the bottom and going to work my way up....then around the edges. Bottom sheets on, with a weird airfoil shape boxed shape 'thingy' into the side of the fuse to attach my top sheets.

post-4413-1269748350.jpg

Wings are no more than 4-5mm's at their thickest point next to the fuse, so they're thin. They've also got some really cool convoluted shapes out to the tips (must've been made out of carbon-fiber?) so some deft gluing and shaping is going to be required. This is the oversized top sheet after I made a pattern to hug the fuse sides.

post-4413-1269748873.jpg

Pic of my strategically placed attachment points of the side fuse. Top sheet butts up against the fuse in the rear, then will transition over the leading edge of the chines that are already on the kit. Top of the wing isn't quite 'blended' into the fuse for it's entire length on the real aircraft.

post-4413-1269749130.jpg

Test fit of the upper wing sheet. See the transition I was talking about? There's another built-up area close to the fuse as it goes rearward for actuating mechanisms (I guess) for the control surfaces, but that will be another lamination after I get all my contours down. Hard to explain, but ya'll will see.

post-4413-1269749334.jpg

And the other top sheet cut out and placed for a look-see. After I go line up at the trough and get something to eat, I'll get back on tonight and show where I'm at presently. Actually didn't turn out half bad. Easier to show pics of what I did than explain, so I'll see everybody in a bit. Later, Russ

post-4413-1269749643.jpg

Whoooooohh, Ended up sleeping like a bear in hibernation so I didn't get my update on last night. :BANGHEAD2: Got the first layer on both sides of the wing now, and everything trimmed off so the outline is visible once again. Got the future Norwegian F-104 out of it's box so I can start giving it a looksy while things were drying. Hmmmm, these are almost exactly the same length,...interesting.

post-4413-1269801771.jpg

Wasn't able to get any pics of the structure inside the wing, because I was building it from the outside in. All this got stuffed in after I had glued the wings to the fuse, but before I glued around the outside of the wing itself. Testy little business for sure.

post-4413-1269801989.jpg

Finally buzzed off those bits of leading edge extensions from the fuse front left over from the extension I did there, and got everything mocked up once more. Went ahead and put the sidewinder rails on so I can zero in the amount of washout on the wingtips when it comes time to add the top lamination.

post-4413-1269802249.jpg