Norwegian F-16A

Not much different dimensionally with a slightly larger wingspan and fuse....,but ooooooh what a difference in the appearance. Probably still make it Norwegian, and not Australian....but I can already envision a cool 'what-if' camo scheme. Should have some pics tomorrow of the buzz-sawed fuse, and how I'm going to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again. More pics as things 'progress'? :hmmm: later, Russ

post-4413-1269431441.jpg

Ahh, that's gonna be interesting, Russ!!

A brave move to make something decent of this kit.

Are you going to use a second Kangnam fuselage for the exta sections between jet intake and main gear? :hmmm:

Can't wait to see how you'll srcatch the new wings! :doh:

Keep up the good work, buddy.

Cheers,

Peter

Interesting diversion tractic Russ... :doh: I have seen modellers struggle with correcting the Revell F-16XL kit, so you have (litterally) your work cut out here! I hope that the conversion is as straight forward as you expect, so I shall stay tuned whislt I watch this thing metamorphasise into another Dr. Russenstien monster! :hmmm:

Derek

...Aaaand cue sound effect of "needle scratching across record". Wow. Russ, you've jumped off the train and into the fire, to mix metaphors! I have the 'notorious' Cutting Edge (Wild Hare Ass'n) resin conversion meant for the Tamiya kit, and I haven't had the guts to slice into that, yet...while you just forge ahead with a half-built, POS Kangman, putty, sheet stock and some drawings. Awesome.

Whoooeee! Thanks for the interest fellas! :rofl: WOW, what a gorgeous build Roy! I was nodding knowingly about a lot of the points you brought up. Not much out there for plans, wondering if the kit landing gear will hold the weight, and which direction to go with the wings.....etc. I too discovered the NASA site for some good close-up pics. Very nice.

Also saw the 'Wild Hare' conversion Harv! Looked like the cat's meow for doing this conversion,....but I hear it's OOP? Meh, don't think I could justify it for this 'putty-queen' build anyway. No telling what this will eventually morph into before it's all over. I keep having visions of variable geometry intakes for a higher top-end, vectored exhaust with thrust reversers, a 'mission adaptable swing-wing' that changes camber in flight but folds back into the double-cranked delta kinda like an F-111, conformal fuel tanks,....blah blah blah. :punk: But as the object of the GB is to actually FINISH something off,.....maybe I'd better keep it down to a dull roar? heh heh.

I hear that the mighty Kangnam had an XL version for it's F-16 also Derek! Just a set of wings on an un-modified fuse though. Still be cool though. Won't have any eye-bleeding detail on this build,...just a 'what if' design exercise to keep things fun. Been playing around with an arctic snow camo, or a variation of some kinda 'Ferris scheme' for a final paint job....but dunno yet.

ANOTHER Kangnam F-16 Peter?! :rofl: Hmmmm, could actually use the main gear for the future Norwegian X-29 I'm going to morph the F-5E into. :rofl: As far as I can tell, the center body of the fuse remained the same as a regular F-16.(landing gear, gun position, refueling receptacle,etc.) A 30 inch plug in the rear, and a 24 inch plug forward of this central body made the fuse 54 inches longer than a standard F-16. The cuts I made to stretch the fuse out scaled out to those measurements exactly....which amazed the heck outta me! My plans aren't the greatest, but they're all I have to go on for now.

I agree Shawn, this is a MOST interesting design....and looks to be a hoot to emulate! Made this build a lot more interesting with a snap of the fingers.

But I digress; Here's where I was last night after Humpty-Dumpty fell off the wall and cracked into a few major components.(OK, actually I Dremeled the crap outta it...but let's pretend eh?) Uh oh, my nose fell off!

post-4413-1269509916.jpg

Major pieces ready for re-assembly;

post-4413-1269509989.jpg

Taped and propped up to see how everything lines up. I cut the nose like that, cuz i wanted the gun/engine intake/ and refueling receptacle to line up with my plans....but the cockpit has to be about 2 feet (3/4's inch scale) more forward. Ventral fins are now gone, and I made the rear cut to get the 3 degrees of 'up-sweep' that the engine will have to clear the ground at high AOA. (this can be seen in the previous pics of the plans) I now have a scale 30 inch gap (almost an inch) in the rear which coincides with the plans really well.

post-4413-1269510433.jpg

Last view of the night from the top. Goggle-eye of the camera makes the rear gap look huge, but it's only about 1 inch(25mm). Tomorrow I should have these sections joined back together and ready for putty. Wing design number 1 should follow soon. More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1269512396.jpg

Russ,

Just when I already thought it was going to be interesting... I've read this over twice and scratched my head till it hurt.. well youre a brave man ! :punk: I have a spare hasegawa "C" fuse and tail etc if you need any spare's give me a holler. In the mean time I'll just :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: like the rest of us!

Best of luck. If anybody can pull this off I know you can.

Paul

Hmmmm, could actually use the main gear for the future Norwegian X-29 I'm going to morph the F-5E into. :hmmm:

This sound like a crazy idea Russ, but why make a X-29 'pointy forward wing thingy', when you could utilise the (now) spare F-16 wings and other bits to morph it into a brand new Northrop F-516! (upgrade your F-5E to have all the sexy bits from the F-16?)...You never know, the idea may just have 'wings'? :speak_cool:

Cheers

Derek