LSP Kit Database needs your help!

LSP_Kevin

So, I'm back with another request for information! In perusing our collection of kits in the Kit Database based off the original Revell Spitfire, I came across the following entry:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1477

And the box art:

1477-1.jpg

Of particular note is this comment:

Hasegawa fuselage and other parts with new tool, Revell recessed panel line wing parts.

So, this suggests that this particular kit bears no relation to the original Revell Spitfire Mk I kit. My first question, then, is if Revell took old Hasegawa parts, and combined them with their own new parts, does this warrant a dedicated kit family, or is it more logically related to the original Hasegawa kit? Our general rule of thumb is that, if any major airframe components are replaced (wings or fuselage, basically), then the direct lineage is broken, and a new branch needs to be created, and that's the way I'm leaning here. Just wanting to hear some other thoughts.

The second question is, was this combination of plastic ever released in other boxings? If so, I'm thinking we could have other kits the database that have been mis-classified.

Thanks in advance!

Kev

So, I'm back with another request for information! In perusing our collection of kits in the Kit Database based off the original Revell Spitfire, I came across the following entry:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1477

And the box art:

1477-1.jpg

Of particular note is this comment:

So, this suggests that this particular kit bears no relation to the original Revell Spitfire Mk I kit. My first question, then, is if Revell took old Hasegawa parts, and combined them with their own new parts, does this warrant a dedicated kit family, or is it more logically related to the original Hasegawa kit? Our general rule of thumb is that, if any major airframe components are replaced (wings or fuselage, basically), then the direct lineage is broken, and a new branch needs to be created, and that's the way I'm leaning here. Just wanting to hear some other thoughts.

The second question is, was this combination of plastic ever released in other boxings? If so, I'm thinking we could have other kits the database that have been mis-classified.

Thanks in advance!

Kev

Kev ...

It is an odd one ... as far as database classifications go ... I scored one just prior to the 'new' Revell Mk.II release.

From the research done prior to purchase, the comments in the database are about right - and it was labeled the most accurate early version OOB out there!

As an 'evolution' or backdate of the original Hasegawa Mk.V kit, should it be attached to that family?? - Complicated, I know, given the weird relationship between Hasegawa and Revell.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

As an 'evolution' or backdate of the original Hasegawa Mk.V kit, should it be attached to that family?? - Complicated, I know, given the weird relationship between Hasegawa and Revell.

Thanks, Rog. But bear in mind that, even if this was a Hasegawa release, it would still probably get its own kit family, as it would have evolved significantly enough beyond the base kit to warrant it. This is what we did with the hybrid Dora kit that Hasegawa released, where they took the old Fw 190A wings and other parts, and combined them with a newly-tooled fuselage and other bits, to create a 'new' Fw 190D kit. We considered this to be sufficiently different from the original A kit to give it its own classification.

On a related note, we did the same thing with Hasegawa's 2-seat 'high grade' Me 262 release, but my understanding is that the kit only provides a few conversion parts bundled with the original Me 262A kit. This would make it more of a direct offshoot of the original kit, but I've never seen the contents of one, so can't be certain exactly how it's been engineered. I'd buy one for cheap just for the sake of knowing, but not for the silly prices I see people asking for them (which, for me, means > $20).

Kev

On a related note, we did the same thing with Hasegawa's 2-seat 'high grade' Me 262 release, but my understanding is that the kit only provides a few conversion parts bundled with the original Me 262A kit. This would make it more of a direct offshoot of the original kit, but I've never seen the contents of one, so can't be certain exactly how it's been engineered. I'd buy one for cheap just for the sake of knowing, but not for the silly prices I see people asking for them (which, for me, means > $20).

Kev

Kevin, I believe your assessment of the high grade Me 262 is correct. While I don't have the plastic in front of me, I keep all my instruction sheets and decals in a portable file. The kit has a couple of extra sprues; one for the back seat, and new canopy parts. Assembly requires cutting away fuselage plastic to open it up for the back seat.

OK, with regard to the Hasegawa/Revel hybrid Spitfire kit, I've found several other boxings, by both Revell and Hasegawa, so I've created a dedicated kit family for them, and am in the process of assigning them. One of the Hasegawa kits is 08134:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10027451

Does anybody have this kit, who can maybe provide us with a decent photo of the box art?

Kev

Oh, and while I'm rolling out the questions, the following review by Brett Green on Hyperscale suggests that the new parts to backdate the Hasegawa Spitfire were actually tooled by Hasegawa (rather than Revell):

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/spitfirei32reviewbg_1.htm

Does anybody know for sure? That would mean that Revell probably *didn't* add their own parts to backdate the Hasegawa kit, but instead used Hasegawa's own updated parts. Confusing!

Kev

I am sure that Hasegawa was responsible for the tooling. 

The kit was released in Japan in February 2001.  Revell released the kit around the same time in Europe and North America. 

Hasegawa came out with a second release a few years later with different decal options. The second Hasegawa release did make it to U.S.  retailers.  

Here is an image of the original Hasegawa box art.

SpitfireI.jpg

Thanks, Bill. I might have to update its status to reflect that. I'd love some photos of those parts to include in the database!

Kev

Sorry, Kevin - This one's been in my WIP pile for a couple of years now. No sprue shots from me. 

Fascinating stuff. I had the older Revell kit (the one from post #169), and it was very nice, but I also sold it off a long while back, so I cannot say for sure what was what.

Kev ... The sprues aren't stamped with manufacturers identifiers ... so even though I have the kit, neither can I!! :D

Rog :)

• 5 months later...

OK, time for me to ask for some more help!

The following I.D. Models kit in our database is listed as being 1/35 scale:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=991

Can anyone verify that I.D. Models did in fact produce a 1/35 Me 262? I suspect it's actually correct, since a mainstream 1/32 kit has been around since the early '70s, so there'd be little point in producing it as a vac kit. A 1/35 scale Me 262 would be handy for all those late-war forest dioramas, and the LTD08 kit number suggests it was a limited production run.

Anyone know for sure?

Kev

Here's another curly one. Hasegawa Me 262 release numbered '851':

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=997

Our database claims it's a reissue of S14. However, just about every other source on the web indicates it's actually a 1/72 scale kit. Anybody know if this kit number was ever applied to one of their 1/32 reissues? I suspect it's just a mistake, but would like to be more certain. Perhaps the kit number in our database is slightly wrong, for example.

Kev

Here's another curly one. Hasegawa Me 262 release numbered '851':

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=997

Our database claims it's a reissue of S14. However, just about every other source on the web indicates it's actually a 1/72 scale kit. Anybody know if this kit number was ever applied to one of their 1/32 reissues? I suspect it's just a mistake, but would like to be more certain. Perhaps the kit number in our database is slightly wrong, for example.

Kev

Kev,

I can confirm 851 is indeed a 1/72 kit:

ABD61DDF-4CE8-49A0-8475-B3A04F844E6B_zps

90598BDD-9EBD-4336-8D0D-D205B91A6979_zps

I cannot however shed any light on it ever being a 1/32 release.

Regards,