PCM 1/32 Hurricane

LaughingGravy

Anyone out there built one of these, and if so how did you rate the kit ?

Could you tell me why there are nazi insignia in the decal sheet ?

My review will be posted in Monday's 'What's's New.' I did not build the kit, but did dry-fit it.

The decals are not 'Nazi' but are Finnish Hakristi's which the Finnish AF used from WWI through WWII.

Could you tell me why there are nazi insignia in the decal sheet ?

The Finns were using that insignia on their aircraft when a certain future chancelor of Germany was still a Corpral, running messages between command posts.

Yup. I read somewhere one theory on how the symbol came to be. Supposedly, ol' Goering was sent to a Finnish clinic to dry out sometime after WWI. The fences around the clinic had the hakristi, which really began as a harvest-time good luck symbol, featured in its decoration. Hermann took a fancy to the symbol, and when his buddy Adolph went looking for a symbol for their new terrorist cell, ol' Hermie piped up with this neat symbol from Finland he liked. And the rest, they say, is history!

Not sure how accurate that theory is, but makes a good story!!

My review will be posted in Monday's 'What's's New.' I did not build the kit, but did dry-fit it.

The decals are not 'Nazi' but are Finnish Hakristi's which the Finnish AF used from WWI through WWII.

Looking forward to that one Ray.

I only have dought on the correct color of the Belgian "Thistle " circle.

Ray,

Can you comment on that ? I know you have done a lot of research on the Belgian markings.IMO they look a bit to red .

Follow the link for more info on PCM and the kit.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/features/pcmdw_1.htm

Erwin, I noticed that as well. They made the outer circle the Belgian roundel red. While researching the kit, I took a second look at some of the pics of the Belgian fighters. Unfortunately, I am afraid it comes down to color interpretation of b&w photos. The tone is close to the red, but to me looks a bit different. The brown I used was based on color profiles from someone else. I have yet to find a color photo or 1st hand account on the colors so I am not sure who is right at this point. I know you do most of your fighters in Belgian markings, if you ever find any mention of the colors in memoirs or the like, let me know!

The outer circle of the order of the thistle ----inspired by the nearby billetting of Scots Guards in W.W.1---is actually yellow---and is perpetuated to this day. It was originally (and dating back to the 1700's at least)--a Scottish emblem used in the guard regiments and the Royal company of Archers.

Page 93 of my 'Aerodata' bound volumes (the one on the Hurri. shows the colours described thus-(we've been here before Erwin)

Outer circle--Yellow --Black lettering 'nemo me impune lacessit' --'No one attacks me with impunity'-but this may have been in white on some a/c.-----bright green inner--white thistle.

Dave.

Outer circle--Yellow

Dave.

I've got the same in this ref and also in the Mushroom ref of Fighters over France and the Low Countries Planes

It'd be interesting to know the research behind the red colour that was chosen.

Cheers Matty

It seems a yellow ring is correct.

Follow these links...

http://www.baha.be/Webpages/Navigator/News...%20Squadron.htm

http://www.f-16.net/units_article5.html

This link to Wingspalette shows a correct marking...

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/79/66/0/3_b1

If you are not happy with the thistle-decals from the kit,you can also do a Belgian Hurricane without those. Hurricanes didn't carry the markings at first.They were painted on in the unit but were delivered without.

Hmmmm, there were some Hurricanes delivered to the Dutch East Indies. I believe there are no photos of them, at least not in operational colours. According to Flevo Decals these were Mk.IIb's with the serials BE293, BG677, Z5609, Z5664 and Z5683. We'll just have to wait for a /132nd IIb to arrive on-scene! Kinda cool to build a Dutch Hurricane.

Same goes for the Dutch P-40E's. I believe they were still in their crates on the dockside at the time Java fell to the Japanese.

Cheers,

Erik.

I've got the same in this ref and also in the Mushroom ref of Fighters over France and the Low Countries Planes

It'd be interesting to know the research behind the red colour that was chosen.

Cheers Matty

I am thinking the red came from pictures like this:

post-39-1264221139.jpg

Yellow may be what it is supposed to be, but trying to interpret the colors from this photo, I am not sure how you get there. The ring looks to be of a color as dark as the red in the roundel, the yellow of the roundel is much lighter and considering the Belgian roundel yellow is similar to orange yellow or chrome yellow, I can't see how it could be the same or a brighter yellow. The inner circle could be green, impossible to tell. The brown in my decals was based on the Richard Caruna profiles from SAM Publications, Modeler's Datafile #2:THe Hawker Hurricane, which is where that photo is from, posted under Fair Use rules (please abide by them!).

I am thinking the red came from pictures like this:

post-39-1264221139.jpg

Yellow may be what it is supposed to be, but trying to interpret the colors from this photo, I am not sure how you get there. The ring looks to be of a color as dark as the red in the roundel, the yellow of the roundel is much lighter and considering the Belgian roundel yellow is similar to orange yellow or chrome yellow, I can't see how it could be the same or a brighter yellow. The inner circle could be green, impossible to tell. The brown in my decals was based on the Richard Caruna profiles from SAM Publications, Modeler's Datafile #2:THe Hawker Hurricane, which is where that photo is from, posted under Fair Use rules (please abide by them!).

Judging by that picture I would go for red too rather than yellow.But maybe not a bright red. More brown-red .