BF-110 G-4

ruzlkampf

Next thing that struck my fancy was enlarging the rudders. I didn't want to lose any more of the kit detail than possible, so I just added a super-thin shim to the trailing edge with the profile taken off my plans. I'll be building these up to match the kit rudders. Shouldn't be that difficult.

post-4413-1264065287.jpg

That last pic was crap, let me tilt this up a bit better so ya'll can see how much was added to the kit rudders and trim tabs to get the profile zeroed in. I have to get up early tomorrow and go to the post office to pick up my resin KI-100 conversion for the Hasegawa KI-61 kit. Whoohoo, it finally showed up! Sooo,....I'd better scram now and show more progress pics tomorrow. I'll be sure and bust open the box of my new play-pretty and show everybody what comes in it then. Be back tomorrow! Later, Russ

post-4413-1264065629.jpg

Russ! You're always up to some sort of mischief aren't you? I'm really enjoying seeing this one come together...I especially like what you've done with the engine nacelles. You'll have to show us neophytes how you acheive such spectacular results with putty! I had started to research what it would take to make a 'G' out of a 'C', but you're making it too easy by doing all the legwork! Love this bird Russ, and I know you'll turn it into a real stuner, keep up the spectacular work my friend. Any ideas for markings yet?

Cheers!

Heeeeey buddy! Where you been?! :shrug: Speaking of mischief and putty,....wait til you see what I have planned for that Blackhawk. Heh heh, let's just say it won't be transporting troops as a primary function? :party0023: I was going to do a 'what-if they raced helicopters at Reno project, but I've concocted a much more radical and bizarre niche for it to play in. :innocent: Glad to see you following along and getting a kick out of this!

OK, I almost got ahead of myself and posted some late-breaking updates. Forgot to post where I was last night just before starting to sand on my newly puttied areas, and wanted ya'll to see where and how much filler was required to turn this into a 'G'. (more or less) Taped everything into place for another mock-up so I could do another walk-around of sorts. Here's the 'pug-nose' before sanding to final shape. 2 styrene tubes drilled into the nose cone and filler around it. I'll be adding a cannon barrel to one side, and a blast tube to the other.(guns were staggered so only one barrel actually protrudes)

post-4413-1264226712.jpg

Here's a semi-profile to show where I troweled putty onto the nacelle fronts to smooth them into the spinner diameters. Didn't take much at all. Drat! I really need to put the correct resin spinners on this before too much longer. meh, ya'll get the general idea anyway?

post-4413-1264226847.jpg

Wanted to show how my oil coolers turned out, and how much putty was required to fill in the undersides of the nacelles. Again, it didn't take much at all. I got these smoothed out nicely tonight, and I'll post pics tomorrow.

post-4413-1264227426.jpg

And last pic of the night to show a few more 'G' features have been added. Weekend is here, so I should get a lot more of this build whomped out in the next few days. Talk to everyone tomorrow night after I get up and take some more photos of what I did today! Later, Russ

post-4413-1264227582.jpg

Wow

That is looking good. Have you used Milliput or similar to build up these areas?

In terms of the stance, I wonder if the u/c is depicted at maximum extension and the oleos need a little shortening/compressing??

Do like a lot - will have to do one of these with a Dragon C or D I have 'spare'.

Matt

Duuuuuhh, well I officially got distracted tonight and didn't get as much accomplished as I'd wished. :thumbsup: Only got what putty I have on it smoothed out, the shell ejector chutes cut out and the cannons trial-fit in the nose. OK, well I did do a lot of work on the radiators and wheel-wells but I'm too lazy to turn it over for boring pics of that stuff.

Got my new KI-100 resin conversion via Royal Mail from Alley Cat models late last week, and couldn't resist the temptation to check it out. I was going gah-gah over the quality of the castings and delicate detail. Excellent! :wow: Check it out,....Russ won't mind if we steal his thread, eh?!

post-4413-1264331354.jpg

This is for the Hasegawa Ki-61, and while I didn't want to get THAT box out for further distraction and comparison....I did take some major pieces off their casting blocks for a looksy. Couldn't believe the fuse 1/2's had locator pins, and this literally 'clicked together' sandwiching the engine in place. Spinner fit tight enough to not need tape.

post-4413-1264331784.jpg

Couldn't stop there, so I afixed the cowl ring to see how things looked. Wheeeeeew! :wow:

post-4413-1264331927.jpg

I don't know how I woulda cut those resin canopy pieces off their blocks without some dental tools I acquired. A razor saw would've been to wide! :thumbsup: Beautiful fit after a little shaving here 'n there though. This is going to make an interesting future project. :wow:

post-4413-1264332160.jpg

Aaaaaah, but I digress once again. :thumbsup: Getting back to the 110 now. Oh yeah, I drilled some holes to mock up an antenna arrangement just to see what it'd look like. This is scraggly looking, but tells me if the holes on both sides of the nose are lined up OK. Putty on the cowls and rudders is now smooth, and the oil coolers are all dialed in. Time to meet another one of my nemisis's; the bumps over the generator on top of the engine. Not really a bump with defined lines, just looks like somebody kicked the crap outta it for clearance. I've been humming my mantra hoping this will go smoothly. :wow:

post-4413-1264332614.jpg

Don't know why I'm taking pics of the top,...when everything I did is on the bottom? Meh, there will be more updates tomorrow. I was going to put an Fug-218 aerial on this thing, but have decided to go with an earlier Fug-220d with the canted aerials to narrow the beam. British were jamming 1/2 the bands in the frequencies being used for this radar set during this time, so that'll date this to about fall/winter of 1944.

post-4413-1264332766.jpg