BF-110 G-4

ruzlkampf

Wings and elevator line up exactly. Unlike the Revell kit, the cowl profiles over the wing are perfect. Only mod I'll be doing here are small trim tabs on the ailerons. This will build into a 'G' and STILL have every detail Dragon put onto the surface. I'm very excited about building this kit! Oh yeah, those are my future 3 crew members. I'll be repositioning them for their respective positions. Most excellent Masterdetails pilots with assortment of heads and arms. This is going to be cool. I'm still going to be detailing (gah, I hate that word! :wacko: ) the entire cockpit to change it into a 'G' version. Won't see that in a 'Russ-build' very often! Can't resist. Everything fits so well, and the PE radar and cockpit stuff is superb....I gotta do it! :popcorn:

post-4413-1263473524.jpg

On to the rudders. Again, no big whup. I'll be enlarging the trim tab and surface area without destroying the detail Dragon has. Wait and see, it'll be easy. :wacko: Kit tail wheel is much too small for a 'G'. I've already got a 1/72nd 109 main gear wheel that almost fits this perfectly. Whoohoo! :popcorn:

post-4413-1263474276.jpg

After sizing everything up over the plans, the engines are going to be easier than blowing out a candle......and again, I won't lose ANY of the kit supplied detail. I will even have the engines in place and semi-detailed for taking the nacelles off for viewing! :popcorn: I will be using the kit supplied cowlings believe it or not, and they'll work out great. Only a miniscule amount of filler will be needed to accurately fair these into the spinners. I will have to add the small hump for the new generator location, but all the dimensions are already there for a nice DB-605 install.

post-4413-1263474598.jpg

This better illustrates what I'm squawking about. I won't lose any of the hatches, latches, or panel lines. Only the oil filler access behind the spinner, which will be re-added. Everything to be filled is in front of the most forward nacelle panel line, and below is only filled in the old oil cooler location to the spinner. As mentioned, I'll be doing my own oil coolers scratched right off these plans. Actually a very easy shape to build up. Because I keep the kit nacelles and just build up a little toward the front....I can still use the engines which are still very similar to DB-605's visually. This is going to be lotsa easy FUN! :popcorn:

post-4413-1263475081.jpg

Again, engine length and width line up perfectly. Soooo,...basically I don't have any dimensional issues and can use all the kit engineered parts and detail. Yes, I'll have to cut some shell ejection chutes in the nose and add a dab of putty to get the Mk.-108 snout looking spoofy, (I still haven't decided on a radar-fit for this yet, but will probably go with the Neptune array on the plans....too classic) but this is all doable without consuming gobs of time. I've got my raw materials, plans, and a course of action planned out now....so it's time to get started! :popcorn:

Think the cockpit, with all that PE, is the place to begin....so that's what the next update will probably be? Dunno, kinda pumped to hack into those engine nacelles too. hmmmm. :wacko:

More pics as things start rolling! Later, Russ

post-4413-1263475832.jpg

Hi Russ,

Cool idea, most nightfighters were based at Leeuwarden, in the North of Holland, about a two hour drive from the place I live. Aces enough there. The units based there were II./NJG2 later IV/NJGI

Oblt Heinz Schnaufer shot down 32 British bombers when he was based in Leeuwarden, grand total of 121 kills

Maj. Helmut Lent shot down 65 British bombers when he was based in Leeuwarden, grand total 110 of kills

Oblt. Rudolf Schoenert shot down 21 British bombers when he was based in Leeuwarden, grand total of 64 kills

Ofw Heinz Vinke shot down 54 British bombers when based in Leeuwarden, those were all his kills

Oblt Martin Drewes shot down 9 British bombers when he was based in Leeuwarden, grand total of 52 kills

Oblt Zur Lippe-Weissenfelt shot down 36 British bombers when he was based in Leeuwarden, grand total of 51 kills

Those are the aces with over 50 confirmed kills.

Some names of other aces

Oblt Hans-Joanchim Jabs 50 kills

Oblt Hermann Greiner 50 kills

Oblt Paul Gildner 48 kills

Oblt Ludwig Becker 44 kills

Oblt Leopold Fellerer 41 kills

Obfw Karl-Heinz Scherfing 33 kills

Oblt Lothar Linke 28 kills

Oblt Rudolf Sigmund 28 kills

Lt Heinz Grimm 27 kills

Lt Kurt Matzak 18 kills

Lt Georg Fengler 16 kills

Lt Heinz Rolland 15 kills

Uffz Georg Kraft 14 kills

Ofw Siegfried Ney 11 kills

Ofw Karl-Georg Pfeiffer 11 kills

Lt Hans-Eugen von Gienanth 10 kills

Ofw Hans Berschwinger 10 kills

Lt Robert Denzel 9 kills

Ofw Hans Rasper 8 kills

Lt Friedrich Potthast 8 kills

Oblt Wolfgang Kuthe 7 kills

Lt Oskar Kóstler 6 kills

Lt Erich Gollasch 5 kills

Thought I give ya a list so you can pick one out. Most of these pilots were KIA, I know Martin Drewes, Hans Joanchim Jabs and Karl Pfeiffer survived.

Squadron code would be G9 in small letters ( which were on all the nightfighters of NJG 1 ) , then the Balkenkreuz and then in big two letters which I believe are individual and squadron aircraft codes, but I am far from certain of that. There are lots of people around here who know more about Luftwaffe codes I guess.

A cool link

http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Pr...waffe_NJG1.html

Will do for now? if you need more info let me know

Rick.

PS could you spare me those drawnings?

Heeeeey everybody,.....time for a short update on what's being chiseled on lately! :whistle: As usual I'm a day behind, and this is where I started last night. Lotsa mocking up of basic assemblies.

Whew, that's pretty scary Rick! There's a sub-division not too far from here that was an artillery range in WWII. They're still digging up mortar rounds after it rains. Hey dude, I have an extra set of plans for ya so PM me with an address! Thanks for all the info on the aces, looks like I won't have any probs finding a scheme I like....just deciding which one! ;)

Thanks for following along Loic and BB, sheesh.....double trouble! Heh heh, I figured a build like this would bring you out from underground Loic,.....where ya been? We sure have missed you my friend, really glad to see your 'crazy-chicken' avatar again. Stop in often and say howdy OK? ;)

OK, as mentioned.....I actually got started on this last night and was having a ball. Began with the pilots position first. Didn't use any PE in this area, cuz the kit stuff was more accurate and complete. This kit is GORGEOUS! I have a couple of walk-around and detail books on this AC, and I was hard pressed to find anything Dragon left out. BUT! This is a 'G', and the first mod I had to do was the roll bar. Tricky business here, as it's also the seat mount and has brackets that attach to the upper rear canopy. So it has to be the perfect height, width (so it will be wider than the seat, but still fit between cockpit side rails), AND not interfere with the back of the radio bulkhead! Whew! Here's the pilot positioned with the stick going up to stub in his hand, feet on the rudder pedals, and the correct height. Ya'll can just barely make out how I adapted the new rollbar to the kit seat attachments. I now have all the other bars and brackets attached to this frame now that I made sure it fit OK. More pics of this area as things progress later. Check it out!

post-4413-1263648847.jpg

Here is a close-up of the area behind the seat that I'm currently working on, and a view of all the brackets and such. Lots going on in this spot.

post-4413-1263649027.jpg

Before I went much further, I had to mock up the radar. The PE 'boxes' were a PITA so I used the faces and just made up some styrene boxes. Also, the metal woulda been tough to drill holes into for the wiring I want to put in this area behind the seat.

post-4413-1263649343.jpg

Another critical fit is the 'shrage-musik' installation. This is a tight cockpit, and I'm going to have three guys in it with varying poses....so I needed a way to get the right height, width, and angle to have them come outta the rear canopy perfectly between the correct frames. :whistle: There IS no extra room in this thing. Here's how I'm getting it zeroed in.

post-4413-1263649581.jpg

Different views. I'll have detailed mounts and extra ammo cannisters, but the wire gives me the height and angles I need to get this basic fit. I plan on detailing out this cockpit pretty well, this is just getting the major parts to fit then I'll work around them.

post-4413-1263649806.jpg

post-4413-1263649827.jpg