Revell,Trumpeter P-38M Double Build

pappy1

Hi everyone, Harvey, and I both had the excellent Jerry Rutman P-38M conversion set and were talking about which kit would best suit it. So we decided to build both kits the Tried and true Revell, and the superbly detailed Trumpeter.

Harvey has the Trumpeter kit, as well as some aftermarket goodies, and I have the Revell kit, and som aftermarket goodies also.My P-38 is the Droop Snoot version that had lost the clear nose section,but no big deal I happened to have another fighter nose set sitting around.My build will pretty much be out of the box with some Edwards P.E. stuff and some resin wheels, and ofcourse Jerry;s P-38M conversion set. So here is some Pics...Nealpost-5839-1262640161.jpg

post-5839-1262640078.jpg

pappy1,

Well,As to all the goodies u have for u'er conversion to a "M" nightfighter.The fighter nose will not fit the droop snoot opening.Believe on this.Thought about that awhile ago last year and when i checked as to what i was plannig to do.It was no go.There is a difference between the fighter version and the DS version.Larry

pappy1,

Well,As to all the goodies u have for u'er conversion to a "M" nightfighter.The fighter nose will not fit the droop snoot opening.Believe on this.Thought about that awhile ago last year and when i checked as to what i was plannig to do.It was no go.There is a difference between the fighter version and the DS version.Larry

Thanks Larry,But I have the whole gondola section from a doner kit, the wings,tail booms will be from the Droop snoot kit,But the whole cockpit section will be from the P-38 Fighter kit.....Pappy1post-5839-1262653592.jpg

Looking great Harv! Any update is better than none - I haven't touched my Lightning in weeks.

Those engines are some jewels aren't they?

I wish you luck on opening the panels. I considered it on my build, but it was just a bit much for me to tackle for now.

This ship is a tail sitter if your not careful with the weights - even with the weights I have in mine, it still takes very little to make it squat. I think I'll add some more weights in the gunbay, near the firewall - just in case.

It's nice having some more Lightings being built, I'll be keeping an eye on these!

Adrian

Wow, nice start guys!!!

Harv...as one who would like to open up an engine panel on my Trumpeter also...sure would have been nice if Trumpy would at least have given us engraved cut lines on the interior of the engine bay, wouldn't of it? :BANGHEAD2:

Harv,

As to wanting to know which panel u want to cutout.Question here is do u want to see the whole engine or just part of it?Did the same to my revell J model 38.But cut out both top panel covers to show the engines and did the same as what u did to what u posted here.Or this to u.Just how far do u want to take this as to detailing the engines and etc.?Larry

Harv,

Understand about what u say on the panels.One thing i should say is that those panels have a frame work underneath them that the attachments screws or hold downs go to.U'll have to use a thin strip of plastic and drill small holes in it.Have a cutaway i think that shows this and there are some pic's i have in a book showing those side panels that u'er doing or want to do.

If u wish me to copy them and send them to u.I shall do it for u.I would need u'er address again.Larry

Hi again all, Man Harv is really coming along with the booms , and the engines. Meanwhile I'm still fiddling with the cockpit.Maybe we should just throw our parts together and make a Revelleter, or a Trumpell. :speak_cool:

The Revell cockpit isn't so detailed so I cut away some of the fictitious boxes and replaced them with a few scratch ones covered with Ed P.E. and used Ed again to replace the control panel and the rudder pedals, but kept the rest of the Revell panel parts so it would mount easy.Next I cut the radio section off and replaced it with a resin one from a Phoenix set I have.Hopefully all get it painted and the radios installed tonight. Well here is a few pics I'm sorry my camera doesn'tpost-5839-1263251073.jpg show more detail.....Pappy1