pre shading

mjlynch71

I am thinking about pre-shading my Trumpeter p-38. Since my Pasche Airbrush is not working right, and cannot get the stream of paint that narrow, using a black Sharpi marker doing the lines before painting. Any thoughts on this before I try it. Thanks, Jerod

I am thinking about pre-shading my Trumpeter p-38. Since my Pasche Airbrush is not working right, and cannot get the stream of paint that narrow, using a black Sharpi marker doing the lines before painting. Any thoughts on this before I try it. Thanks, Jerod

DON'T!!! That ink will most likely bleed through the paint leaving a pretty nasty result. If you're doing an Olive Drab over Neutral Gray scheme you'd be surprised how wide of a line you can shoot on there and still achieve the desired effect. Even under lighter colors like white you can take broad, nasty-looking pre-shading like this:

BellyPreshade1800x.jpg

And achieve a pretty good result:

6cupsgone800x.jpg

It's all about using light coats, allowing them to set-up fully so you can see the 'real' results, and working towards a result you're happy with.

No on the Sharpi!

I had an aluminum part that had the Sharpi notes glass bead blasted from it. The part was then primed and then painted with imron white. The ink still bled through to the point where you could still read the original note.

Ok, That is what I thought. I need to figure out what is wrong with my aribrush. Might get a new regulator. What PSI do you like to use. Thanks, Jerod

PSI is a much trickier question. For me it changes based on what type of paint, how much I've thinned it, single- or double-action airbrush and lots of other factors (including temp and humidity) can affect that. Your best bet there is to "fiddle with it" until you find a comfortable setting. I spray a few lines on a piece of cardboard or scrap plastic to get the setting I like.