P-47 D "Balls Out"

Chris,

I enlarged your photo and the shields I spoke of are on the top of the cyl. heads and are attached to the rocker arm boxes and the ring. They are a stamped piece of metal not part of the ring.The ignition wires (looking from the front) that go to the front of all the cyls. (front and back rows) do not pass through these shields. The wires that go to the back of each cyl. pass through these shields and hold them in place keeping them away from laying on the exhaust and intake pipes on the back side of the cyls. Or thats what I was able to see. Thank you Ron and Chris for these photos they are better then any I had.

Mike Horina

Hi Mike,

i see you. But it will be hard for me, or nearly impossible to scratch these stamped sheets. So the ring will do the work. You are very right, i just put together the engine and cowling, mounted it to the fuselage and once you mount the prop, you won't see anything of the engine.
Drop me a PN, i have some more pics of the P&W engines, or do a Google search for pictures.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris- Happy new Year, and Welcome back! I have been wondering where the heck you had gone......I hope all is well. I love the work on the Thunderbolt so far, looking good! I know what you mean about building for other people. I quit seven years ago, and I have not been able to get myself straight still! Still cannot commit to finishing anything really. It is tough not being able to be excited about something you love. Anyway, keep it up. Cannot wait for the next installment!

THOR :BANGHEAD2:

............i'm not sure for this one with the paintfinish. this will be my first NMF with Alclad... :help: blush.gifwacko.gif
Chers,
Chris

Well if you were ever up for it you could always try REAL metal for your NMF.....I know first hand how pretty Jugs turn out in foil:

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

Cheers, and keep the pics comin! :popcorn:

Brian

Regarding the baffles for directing the cooling air around the cylinders, there is no ring and no disk. The plates over top of the cylinder heads link together to form what looks like a ring, this forms a 'seal' to the cowl. In between the cylinders there are cuffs that closely hug the sides of the cylinders and are fastened to the cylinder to the rear, thusly blocking off any open spaces between the rows of cylinders and forcing all air entering the cowl to flow through the cooling fins and not be wasted by passing around the cylinders and heads. As an example the left side baffle on a front row cylinder bolts to the right side baffle of the cylinder to it's left in the back row. The baffles are all staggered this way around the entire engine.

It is easy to understand than it is to explain. If you can follow the drawing it will all makes sense.

From the book R2800 Pratt and Whitney's Dependable Masterpiece:

post-3540-1263151811.jpg

I hope this clears things up a little. These baffles are very hard to see if you don't know what you are looking for. Even then they get lost in the dark spaces between the cylinders.

Regards,

Allan