P-47 D "Balls Out"

Hi all,

after a long breake, i'm finally back at the bench. About two years of doing this and that, starting different kits, working on and off on them, loosing the interest in the hobby, i was already at the point of giving up the whole crap. But then again, i can't sell all the great stuff i collected over years. My skills raised up the last years, (with the help of some great guys here) the models became better and better, it would be a pitty to stop now. What i stoped is the work for magazines. Building models is one thing, but if you have to it's another beer. I think that was the biggest part of loosing the interest in the hobby. Sure, it's great to see your own models in a magazine and earn some money with doing articles, but now i can build what i want and when i want.
Enough bla bla, let's get the party started!

Here is the new project

001-3.jpg

It will be this one (at least i hope laugh.gif)

002-3.jpg

Now i have a question to you T-Bolt Experts: Was it possible, to carry that drop tank, bombs AND the rockets all together? If yes, where are the roket pipes mounted? Exact location, maybe a drawing or a pic?

003-3.jpg

Which prop can i use for the "Balls Out"?
From left to right:
Hasegawa kit prop, Trumpeter prop ( think it should be the same one) and another Trump prop, which i would prefer as it looks bad! :evil_laugh:

004-3.jpg

A first test fit. Major fit is great, with exception of the enginecowling. Most of you will know it, it is sitting way to high.

005-2.jpg

To solve this problem, i cut off the front end of the fuselage. It will be glued back in place (the correct one) after the enginge pod and fuselage is done.

006-2.jpg

Another question about the engine wiring. There are 20 spark wire connectors at the below half of the gearbox. Does anyone have a good pic, which shows the way of the wires? And what about the 2 "unused" connectors?? Hope you know what i mean.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Hi Chris, Looking forward to following another one of your builds

That ignition ring doesn't represent anything ever used on a P&W R-2800

Here are a few more pics I took at Duxford. Also, don't forget to not glue the trailing edge of each wing when assembling the wing halfs. The wing is to narrow at the wing root and the halves need to be seperated at the trailing edge to match the wing root. If you don't do this you will have a step that needs filling

Cheers.

p47029.jpg

P9050157.jpg

P9050026.jpg

Chris my friend,first off all the best to you and your's in the New Year...second,great to see your work here again mate.That's a great bit of info from Ron re:the rear wing width.I'll be keeping that one in the list of things to have an eye for...cheers...Dave

Use the middle prop (Curtiss Symetrical) for the D-30.

The 9th AAF did not employ "massive" load outs classically as they were close to the front and flew many sorties per day. Use a center drop, with 250lb bombs on the wings and the rocket tubes inboard of the bomb racks roughly under the inboard-most .50 cal...

P-47D_rockets.jpg

65thPlanes2.05.jpg

This is the most "classic" 9th AAF loadout too.

Seems like you've got the wiring question answewred too :notworking:

Gonna be watching this one for sure! Let me know if you need help with the decals, I know for a fact that the white "starburst" under the bull decal needs some trimming to get it to conform to the cowling curveature (my mistake in the vector art :wacko:)

Hi folks, here is an update.

As i already mentioned, i found a solution for the wrong front end of the engine. In my spares box i found a Quickboost P&W engine and i used that gearbox.
Looks much better to me.

008-2.jpg

009-5.jpg

Here the almost completet engine. The cylinders need some cleaning up, but there will not much visible in the end.

010-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

Engine in the frame

012-3.jpg

Wasn't there a metal plate between both cylinder rows?
I tryed to make one from scratch, but i'm not happy with the result

013-2.jpg

Then i had the idea, to machine one from aluminium. I used a CAD system to make a programm for my CNC machine on work. In this video you'll see what the machine will do as soon as i'm back on work.

>See this CAD Video<

That's for the moment. Please let me know what you think. Comments & Critic always welcome!

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Actually it is not a plate. there are 18 baffles mounted either on the cylinder heads or on a mounting ring. What you have is a part from the old Revell kit. Yes it can be used on the Hase motor but to use it the blank areas should line up with the front row of cylinders, and that little triangle area between the openings should line up with the back row of cylinders with the ignition wires going through that triangle to the rear cylinder behind it.

Truth be told once the cowling is on only you will know its there. I have seen the baffles mounted to a ring and the Vector kit mounts the baffles to the cylinder heads. I don't have clear enough pictures to tell if both ways were used or which is correct. Maybe some one that has the large volume on the 2800 and can let us know HTH

Mike Horina

Thanks for the info Mike,

but the "plate" i want to machine is from the Trumpeter T-Bolt Razorback Kit. I thought it meight be some kind of a protection plate between the cylinder rows. The 9 openings should line up the rear cylinder row, to get them cooled by air flow. It will look like the Trumpeter engine in the end, at least i hope so.

Cheers,

Chris

That engine looks great.

Here are some more pics I took at Duxford showing the plate your talking about. This is a real Razor Back also

I believe it's a baffle to direct airflow to the rear bank of cylinders for better cooling

Cheers

P9050158-1.jpg

P9050160-1.jpg