P-51D 'Nooky-Booky IV'

ruzlkampf

The wheel well is outstanding. Just great. This is turning into a real winner.

At the risk of distracting your focus, when are we going to get to see that 110 conversion??? I have had that kit in my stash since it came out and can't gey excited about the available paint schemes. Don't even get me started on the Ju88 that is sitting on my shelf right next to the 110...

My two cents on the props are the Dragon ones you are reworking. What a drag that they can't make them right. I got spoiled building Jerry's 51, with the right shapes on all the important stuff.

Matt (Elvis-the elf killer's master)

Hi Russ,

I like the way you modified your eight blades (thinking of making a contra-prop or twin engined Mustang eh? :oops:).

Derek

Derek, you Sir.....are a GENIUS!!!! :bow: What a FANTASTIC concept! OMG, now I can hardly stand still :goodjob: I could kill 2 birds with one stone, and that would dove-tail into what I was planning on doing with the two Dragon kits I'm robbing parts off of. Hmmmmm, now if I could just envision some kind of fashionably correct landing gear for sumthin like that.... or decide between Griffon or Napier Sabre engines? :yahoo:

Yep Matt, I have plans for the 110 G-4 out already, and I'll have them enlarged on Monday when I go back from vacation. I did that G-2 conversion on the Revell kit back in a previous group-build, but that was just before this Dragon kit was released. This is a MUCH better starting point, and now that I've got my vac skills down OK....re-doing the rear canopy should be no big whup. I already have the resin spinners like I put on the 109 K-4 and some different rudders are within the realm of possibility. Once I have the masters made up, it's a cake-walk to make copies....and I'd be honored to send a few your way gratis. Whoa, I'd LOVE to see what you'd pull off for an ME-110 G-4 with your mad paint skills!! :) I'll be working on it in tandem with the ongoing SR-71 project. Soon my friend, VERY soon. :BANGHEAD2:

But I digress; The P-51 is in the spray booth (actually the kit box, ahem) ready for it's final paint job. Did I say the next pics would be of it in silver? Well, I'm a liar, liar....and my pants are on fire. Because this is a NMF, EVERYTHING had to be attached first like antennas,pitots,that seam in front of the canopy, and yet some more concessions to accuracy I felt I had to include for my vision of what I want this to look like. I didn't want to be afixing those details AFTER painting, as it would be fraught with potential disaster to my finish. With all the smoothing and feathering I've had to do this is turning into quite the putty-queen, and almost looks as modified as one of my racers. Egads! :huh: Some last pics of this in it's 'raw' condition before painting. I've decided to use various enamel metallic colors for a finish, with various parts in a flat lacquer. Uuuuuhm, we'll see how THAT goes, eh?! heh heh.

post-4413-1263060248.jpg

post-4413-1263060278.jpg

View from the rear included cuz it shows my last 2 mods I installed. A rod for actuating the radiator opening, and a tail-warning radar aerial on both sids of he fin. I unwound some really small twisted wire about the size of human hair for this. Yeeeesh, what a mind numbing task to pull off. A drop of glue is a huge blob to something this small, man I'm gettin too old for ths kinda stuff!

post-4413-1263060714.jpg

Close up of my 'rod'. (oh my)

post-4413-1263060765.jpg

And one side of the tail-warning radar. I'm done with pesky details, it's time for paint!

post-4413-1263060847.jpg

Alright, there it sits in it's high-tech paint booth ready for the shiney stuff. Not sure where to start, so I'm just going to plow ahead after pumping myself up with a pudding cup to fortify myself.

post-4413-1263061119.jpg

Hmmmm, let's see. I'll be using MM enamels in 3-4 flavors methinks? Chrome silver, German silver metallic, aluminum, and sounds kinda dark but isn't ....steel. Be doing a few test sprays to see what shades they actually dry in, and varying different panels to give a little visual fun? Dunno, this is just going to morph into what it's going to be. Another give-away and a practice Mustang for what's to come....so I'm not going to get too serious about 'scaleness' and keep it fun. Whoohoo! OK, crossing my nipples for luck....and I'm off for a day of airbrushing! Should have some pics later on tonight of what happened, so I'll be back then, eh? Later, Russ

post-4413-1263061818.jpg

Damn Russ the suspense is killing me. Outstanding project my friend and as always very inspiring.It truly amazes me how fast you work and how excellent your project are when completed.Looking forward to the continuing Russville saga.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

WHAH HAH! It's SILVER now!!!! Whooohooooeeee! :oops: Yep, it's getting almost done with day-9 of this build,.....dangerously close to my 2-week attention-span Gregory! Thank goodness I'll be giving this one away to a design engineer at work who loves P-51's, but doesn't know squat about all the subtle nuances.(uhmmm, ehrr....neither do I actually. :wow: ) Guys the smartest idiot I know....I think he will like it. Yea, the halls were reverberating alright Kevin,....you shoulda heard my 'furioso bombasto' cussing when my airbrush clogged 1/2-way thru spraying my aluminum color! :bow: Everythings OK now, I just kicked a few elves and feel much better now. Thanks for the kind words Raphael, I went ahead and sprayed the top of the cowl silver, while I had it going all over the place, so the final shape is ready for inspection. For better or worse,....this is how it's going to look. :doh:

Aaaaaaah, but I quibble when i should be posting pics. Only ended up using 3 colors to get where I was going. Dried amazingly fast between coats, I was surprised that this didn't take long at all. (OK, I fudged and didn't put a primer coat on first. Life on the edge, eh?) This finish isn't even close to being done yet, as I don't want to have a shiney polished look. It's going to be scruffed up slightly and flat textured. I want weathered aluminum. :evil_laugh: On with the walk-around in no particular order;

post-4413-1263085871.jpg

I don't dare paint my anti-glare shield and such until after this dries a bit, but this kinda gives a view of what my cowling turned into. Those checkerboards on the nose will cover most of these contours up methinks? Oh well, I'm done with sanding anymore on it and I ain't looking back now.

post-4413-1263086099.jpg

Last photo until I get some color on this critter. It's nappy-time and I'm going to collapse into a heap from all the nervous tension this paint job gave me. I'm hoping all the different colored panels show up a bit better when I start surgically spraying select areas flat? Waits to be seen what it'll turn into.

post-4413-1263086799.jpg

Oh yeah, I don't think I've shown what the markings will look like yet? Here's the profiles from the Eagle Cals decal sheet showing what options came with it.

post-4413-1263086927.jpg

And here's a pic of the 'Nookster'. No wing ID or invasion stripes, just a checkerboard nose/anti-glare shield/markings/ and national insignia. And a BUNCH of kill markings!!! :evil_laugh:

More pics as things progress; Later, Russ

post-4413-1263087080.jpg