1:32 Haswgawa Spitfire Mk.I

Ralph Riese

Lovely work, mate on that model. Hasegawas Spitfire, looks lice a good kit!? Isin´t it!? :speak_cool:

Hello Marek: The Mk.I kit is quite a simple one. It was a reissue of the Mk.V with retooled main wing parts with recessed detail. The rest of the airframe parts retained the original raised panel lines. I don't have the Mk.V boxing so I don't know what other differences there are in the kit parts.

I sanded sanded/rescribed the raised detail and cut/repositioned the elevators. As I could only find the Aires cocpit set for the MkV, and don't know enough about the differences between the Mk.I and Mk.V, I just added some plumbing to the cockpit and a cushion to the seat-back to make it look a little busier. I made harnesses from Tamiya tape but might try the RB Productions ones on a future build.

There was a little bit of flash/seamlines to clean up on some of the smaller parts, but the kit assembled easily and quickly, and I found the fit to be quite good. I haven't been able to find an aftermarket unarmoured early-style windscreen which would allow us to model a pre-war Spitfire. All up I enjoyed assembling the kit and am now looking for one of the Mk.Vb/Vb Trop kits. Hope this helps. Cheers, Ralph.

Fine work indeed Ralph. Just an FYI re mustard gas patches, they were apparently used in the early stages of war (not sure when they went away). They were a yellow colored paper that turned pink when introduced to mustard gas.

Since they were a sheet of paper it appears they were attached to the a/c with tape and not in any particular location. Here are a few shots of patch locations. The color shot of the restored Tiger Moth looks like red tape but I suppose any tape would have sufficed. HTH

FA_17755s-1.jpg

Close up of same Spitfire

patch3.jpg

hurripatch.jpg

Lysander port stabilizer

patch2.jpg

patch.jpg

Fine work indeed Ralph. Just an FYI re mustard gas patches, they were apparently used in the early stages of war (not sure when they went away). They were a yellow colored paper that turned pink when introduced to mustard gas.

Since they were a sheet of paper it appears they were attached to the a/c with tape and not in any particular location. Here are a few shots of patch locations. The color shot of the restored Tiger Moth looks like red tape but I suppose any tape would have sufficed. HTH

FA_17755s-1.jpg

Close up of same Spitfire

patch3.jpg

hurripatch.jpg

Lysander port stabilizer

patch2.jpg

patch.jpg

Hello Mike: I'd looked around here and there about the gas patch application period but didn't find much. Many thanks for the info/pics - I might try to add the tape edge to the patch on the model. Cheers, Ralph.