1:32 Haswgawa Spitfire Mk.I

Ralph Riese

out of curiosity l checked to see if this Hasegawa kit is currently available but neither it or the reboxed Revell Mk 1 and V are available. l wonder how they stack up to the old Revell offering coming out again??

out of curiosity l checked to see if this Hasegawa kit is currently available but neither it or the reboxed Revell Mk 1 and V are available. l wonder how they stack up to the old Revell offering coming out again??

Here is an interesting comparison of the two aircraft, go down about 9 'blocks' and there are three articles on these very two aircraft kits.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal-...re/Spitfire.htm

You've done a really nice job on the Spitfire so far, not sure I'll be able to post my efforts at all looking at the level of work you've put into this...

Regards Brent

A veritable masterpiece marred only very slightly by the symmetrical walkway stripes which is not correct-----that on the s'board wing ran tip to root---but I carp and can only repeat my original comment--masterpiece.

Dave.

Hello Dave: very interested to know more about the asymetrical walkway markings. If the starboard marking ran from tip to root, might you know whether the chord-wise segment was retained - and if so, where was it painted? I'm also wondering whether in-service aircraft carried the yellow "gas" patch on the port wing in August 1939. Any advice much appreciated. Cheers, Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

The port wing walk is exactly right----the s'board one simply runs from wing root out to in line with start of wing tip proper---aileron end line--and as such, at that point is exactly like port one.

In other words you would need to remove the chordwise element on s'board side and extend to wing root spanwise.

However, your paintwork and overall finish are so masterley---I would only do the change if you were happy and wanted total accuracy Ralph.

I hope I have not caused a possible re-paint, as that was not my intent----but that said---you are a consumate modeller and I feel you will think it over and do what you feel best.

As another aside----all my references show FZ-L as silver undersurfaces-----indeed the well known photo. clearly shows silver (otherwise it would have to be black showing from that side) BUT---as i have often here advocated seeing more Spits. done in the half/half with alternate Ailerons----and consider your efforts here amazing and masterful----and as I could not have responded earlier as I have been in Hospital for three weeks (and must soon go back) I am NOT suggesting a re-paint---just making observations.

Yours very truly,

Dave.

You really thinned the acrylic paints with laquer thinner? :)

I do it all the time Chris. Tamiya and Gunze acyrlics thin and spray especially well with Mr Color Thinner, and I've heard they spray just as well using the Tamiya brand as well. In fact, I think Tamiya acrylics spray better using Mr Color Thinner than using the recommended X-20A from Tamiya. I'm not sure I'd be so keen to use standard hardware-store lacquer thinner, but it's worth a shot.

Kev

Ralph,

AWESOME work!!! :whistle:

i love the Spit Mk.I and sure love your build and paint work.

for what it's worth this is the first time i have ever seen the alternating aileron colour scheme, and would love to see more pics / know good references for such aircraft?

also, i have to admit i got a bit lost in your and rotary's discussion about changing the wing walk - can you clarify / explain for a simpleton please? :)

anyway, thanks for sharing and, of course, welcome aboard!

Nick

Ralph,

AWESOME work!!! :wow:

for what it's worth this is the first time i have ever seen the alternating aileron colour scheme, and would love to see more pics / know good references for such aircraft?

also, i have to admit i got a bit lost in your and rotary's discussion about changing the wing walk - can you clarify / explain for a simpleton please? :speak_cool:

Nick

Hi Nick,

Quite simple really---Ralph shows the wing walk lines as identical on both sides, which is wrong for early Spits.

The port side is as is----no problem. the s'board side is not a duplicate of that however.

going from outboard everything is identical UNTIL we reach the point where it changes from spanwise to chordwise---IT DOES'NT !! it simply continues SPANWISE to wing root.

Port side as Ralph shows it---but s'board side not as shown. just a spanwise walk line from root to (almost) tip.

Check photos and scale drawings to see what I mean.

Dave.

Hi Ralph,

The port wing walk is exactly right----the s'board one simply runs from wing root out to in line with start of wing tip proper---aileron end line--and as such, at that point is exactly like port one.

In other words you would need to remove the chordwise element on s'board side and extend to wing root spanwise.

However, your paintwork and overall finish are so masterley---I would only do the change if you were happy and wanted total accuracy Ralph.

I hope I have not caused a possible re-paint, as that was not my intent----but that said---you are a consumate modeller and I feel you will think it over and do what you feel best.

As another aside----all my references show FZ-L as silver undersurfaces-----indeed the well known photo. clearly shows silver (otherwise it would have to be black showing from that side) BUT---as i have often here advocated seeing more Spits. done in the half/half with alternate Ailerons----and consider your efforts here amazing and masterful----and as I could not have responded earlier as I have been in Hospital for three weeks (and must soon go back) I am NOT suggesting a re-paint---just making observations.

Yours very truly,

Dave.

Dave: I'm a little more au fait with the Bf109, so appreciate your keen eye on The Adversary. The starboard wingwalk won't be hard to revise so will attend to that. The underside colours are based on the profile in Osprey's "Spitfire Mk.I/II Aces" edition showing ther aircraft circa August 1939, so I'll plead ignorance on that one! Still interested as to when the yellow gas patch made its appearance. Any thoughts much appreciated. Cheers, Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

absolutely fantastic work! You have a very clean finish. Looks really great!

You really thinned the acrylic paints with laquer thinner? :BANGHEAD2:

That is working?

Cheers,

Chris

Hello Chris: Yes - apparently quite common. This is my first attempt and I'd support Kev's comments. I added about 80% thinner to the paints and tried building up colour slowly. I found the paint application easier to control, and the finish was nice and smooth. I would usually wait at least 24 hours before masking Gunze acrylics thinned with their acrylic thinner, but I only waited 3 hours - fine warm day with a light breeze - with the lacquer thinner. Like Kev, I think that paint-store lacquer thinner might to be too hot - but I may well be wrong. I'll try Kev's suggestion of thinning Tamiya acrylics with Gunze Mr Colour thinner on the next project. Cheers, Ralph.

Ralph,

AWESOME work!!! :wow:

also, i have to admit i got a bit lost in your and rotary's discussion about changing the wing walk - can you clarify / explain for a simpleton please? :BANGHEAD2:

Nick

Hello Nick: unfortunately I don't have a great deal of reference material on the early Spitfires. I based the model colours on information from the Osprey "Spitfire MK.I/II Aces 1939-41", "Spitfire. The History", and the SAM Modellers Datafile "Spitfire Part 1: Merline Powered". These all contain some photos and text relating to the black-andd-white underside scheme. Apparently it only appeared for a short while during the early war years and there were a number of variation to the colour placement. Osprey dates the aircraft in question as August 1939, but the SAM Datafile states that the scheme was revised in early 1939. Perhaps others can offer better photos/references/details. Cheers, Ralph.

Hi guy's,

The period was very convoluted and anomalies were almost the norm----but from the mix we can nail down some basics-

initial production Spits. --all aluminium (paint) undersides.

Night/White sheme introduced end '38/ beginning '39.

Anomoly seen during May '39 the silver retained on one half and black (night) added to other half--thus silver/black!!!!

another anomaly gave standard night/white but with Ailerons AND flaps left original silver!!!

Official underside from 27th. April '39 to 6th. June '40 straight half/half--night/white.

BUT--standard factory finish from 24th. April '39 to 11th. June '40 was all silver undersides with only lower wings divided (centre line) night/white........phew---I know, i know------minefield.

You really have to study photos. for this period of extreme flux----but my 'Camouflage and Markings--Spitfire' shows a side view of FZ-L in silver undersides----and the famous 'in flight' photo shows clearly silver at lower nose----otherwise it would have to be black from that side....

The gas patch was very common--generally placed as a diamond--the top 'point' in line with the most inboard gun panel INNER edge and a couple or so inches down from that inboard edge.

I know it is complex----but as I said earlier--I have long urged early half/half Spits. with anomalies and will not raise an eyebrow when these are done so superbly as this one-----Everything I have said is only for future information and most certainly NEVER criticism.

Dave.

Ralph- Masterful finishing on the kit so far. Love the underside scheme, too cool. Please keep us posted as you continue...and a belated welcome to you!

Dave (Rotary)-

You, sir, are always the man! I love the knowledge you and Edgar bring to the table every now and again! Great info!

Thor, who is taking notes form the build and the history lesson...... :BANGHEAD2: