Spit Bits

tbell

Hey Tony,

Nice work so far. The PE seat and head armour sure make a big difference from using plastic doesn't it! I do have a question regarding the head armour, the kit supplies 3 peices A-27, 28 & 29, do they get assembled all together, or just use the one peice or what..seems weird.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Brad

Thanks, guys! This is one of those kits that you have to build with a hammer to screw up (sorta like Tamiya's 1/48 P-47D).

WHat did you use to wash that cockpit? Waldron placards? Can they still be bought, if so, where from?

Got this topic bookmarked :evil_laugh:

Waldron can be found at Roll Models. As for the wash, I used MiG's "Dark Wash". It's a bit too thick out of the bottle, so I thinned it some more with mineral spirits. My process is as follows: Airbrush coat of interior green (homebrew Tamiya mix); airbrush light coat of future for a semigloss sheen; thinned MiG wash, let dry and the excess tidied up with a moist brush; a bit of airbrushed post shading with dark grey (1:10 paint to alcohol); drybrushing with slightly lighter shade of interior green mixed from artists' oils.

That really is superb; I'm a little confused by your plans, though, since Spitfires didn't have ammunition counters.

Edgar

I'm referring to the little rectangular doodad next to the yellow dial which I had assumed was an ammo counter. Any idea what it is?

Hey Tony,

Nice work so far. The PE seat and head armour sure make a big difference from using plastic doesn't it! I do have a question regarding the head armour, the kit supplies 3 peices A-27, 28 & 29, do they get assembled all together, or just use the one peice or what..seems weird.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Brad

The instructions have you use only one of the three pieces. Presumably the other two are for future variants.

Cheers & Merry Christmas (it's still the 25th here in Canada...),

Tony

I'm referring to the little rectangular doodad next to the yellow dial which I had assumed was an ammo counter. Any idea what it is?

It's the oil pressure gauge; the circular instrument is the oil temperature gauge. Both have yellow surrounds to them.

Edgar

Just a quick update. Not a whole lot of time to be spent at the bench, between doing the social rounds and kids' hockey tournaments, however I did find enough time to put together the RB Productions harness.

This is the first time I've tried Radu's belts, and they're great. The instructions suggest using Gator Glue or Pacer Formula 560, but I had neither. The instructions are also emphatic about not using superglue, so instead I used LePage contact cement, thinned with lacquer thinner and applied with a 0000 brush. The bonds are very strong, yet flexible. Perfect.

IMG_0633.jpg

The brass & steel photoetch bits are extremely fiddly and it's a miracle I didn't lose any. Working under a magnifying lamp with needle nose tweezers was a great help. To drape the belts I soaked them in diluted white glue and them positioned them while they were still soggy.

IMG_0640_41_39.jpg

Suffice to say that in the future I will be defaulting to Radu's product if the option is there!

Cheers,

Tony

Great work in the cockpit!!!

I'm almost ready to button mine up and paint. I will be doing at least two more glad I got to see your work in the cockpit. Radu's belts look GREAT!

Kyle

Great work in the cockpit!!!

I'm almost ready to button mine up and paint. I will be doing at least two more glad I got to see your work in the cockpit. Radu's belts look GREAT!

Kyle

I've thought a number of times I have been ready to button up and then I look at Tony's work and want to add more.

I just ordered three sets of these belts. How fast does Radu ship? He sounds like a solid person to deal with!