Sign in to follow this  
AVRO ARROW

Weathering / Washes

Hello to all,

I am a new user to this forum and have read a lot of great topics here . I would like to know please , when weathering models other members have mentioned the use of washes. I have done weathering with pastel chalks but not washes, could someone please tell more about the washes use in weathering a model.

Thank you.

AVRO ARROW

Welcome to LSP

There are a number of ways. Here are two I use

The first is using oil paints thinned with turpentine. I use enamel paints so this applies only for enamels

After painting I gloss coat using either Model Master or Humbrol gloss then I decal (sometimes I'll use future floor wax instead of gloss coat)

After decaling I dull coat the plane with Humbrol matt varnish

I mix a wash of burnt sienna artist oil paint (or Payne’s Grey sometimes) with turpentine. The mix should be the constancy of milk.

Using a fine brush I brush the wash into the panel lines only and let dry for about 20 minutes

Then moisten a soft rag with Turpentine and wipe off the wash in the direction of air flow.

I don't do the whole plane at once, I work in sections like a wing or fuse side finishing each before moving on.

Sometimes I'll repeat a number of times to darken the effect. The result will look like this (Payne’s gray wash here)

PA240002-1.jpg

The other method is using pastels ground up and mixed with water and a little soap. A dark brown or dark gray works best. Brush on the panel lines same as above. Once dry wipe off with a rag moistened with water. The result will look like this (although this build has a lot of post shading with paint also)

PB130003.jpg

I don't know if you have seen these yet:

Promodeller 1

Promodeller 2

YouTube Flory Models

No, I don't work for Mr. Flory.

I like his wash because basically I screw up(A lot!) and it is easy to clean off if the paint isn't too grainy/flat(for lack of better terms)

Also I do not have to worry about it eating through the paint.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

when weathering other members

Personally, I haven't weathered any members. Not sure if pastels or an oily wash would work best! :DodgeBall:

Anyway! My favorite technique is to use Tamiya Smoke for a wash, diluted well with rubbing alcohol. Sometimes a bit extra black (X-18) helps. I also airbrush it on a large area to simulate the lighter exhaust stains further away from the stacks. After I'm happy with that, I go in with the pastels. I apply them dry.

And welcome to the Forum! :speak_cool:

Hello to all members,

I would like to thank you for your replies to my question about washes. Now does anybody know where in North America / Canada that I might be able to buy ProModeler washes from??

Thank you.

AVRO ARROW

Hello to all members,

I would like to thank you for your replies to my question about washes. Now does anybody know where in North America / Canada that I might be able to buy ProModeler washes from??

Thank you.

AVRO ARROW

Sprue Brothers carries it and their service is first-rate!

I find promodeller a little bitty and lumpy. It doesnt flow as easily into panel lines over acrylic gloss or future. I use oil/white spirit or inks now