Erwin

1/28 th Hobby Craft : Fokker Dr I "Red Barron"

Hi all,

Things aren't going as planned with my other entries (Belgian Nieuport and MS 406).

So I decided to enter this classic too. It's an easy buid and simple paintjob. Should be done in no time.

Anyway,I bought this Hobby Craft kit...

RB-1.jpg

It's a re-release of the old Revell kit. The boxart shows a very nice looking paintsheme. But the kit itself offers only the origional Revell "Red Barron" decals.

Does anyone know more about this ?

The design of the markings look simple enough. Just get some masking tape and a sharp knife and start painting. The problem as I see it is that you have to get some idea as to the correct colors to use.

I'm sure some of the WW1 aviation guys on this forum can help with the colors.

I'd like to know too, I also have this kit somewhere in my stash.

Stephen

The design of the markings look simple enough. Just get some masking tape and a sharp knife and start painting. The problem as I see it is that you have to get some idea as to the correct colors to use.

I'm sure some of the WW1 aviation guys on this forum can help with the colors.

I'd like to know too, I also have this kit somewhere in my stash.

Stephen

Hi Erwin,

Do not assume the box art to be an accurate rendition of what that triplane (Arthur Rahn's 433/17 Werke no.2058) really looked like.

Are the actual colour details inside better???

Dave.

Hi Erwin,

Do not assume the box art to be an accurate rendition of what that triplane (Arthur Rahn's 433/17 Werke no.2058) really looked like.

Are the actual colour details inside better???

Dave.

Hi Dave,

So, where can Erwin and I find a correct rendition of the coloring for this aircraft and an indication of the colors to use?

By the way, as I recall the kit painting instructions had no reference to the box art colors. It was all Red Baron red. Kinda ticked me off at the time. But, one always needs more WW1 German planes to bring up the circus to squadron strength. So the spurious box art was frustrating but no real problem.

Stephen

Whoops! I just answered my own question.

I found a reference To this pilot on Google.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/2...1-503-17-a.html

and

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/rahn.php

I am a member of The Aerodrome so I signed in and found this info.

According to this source the colors were white diamonds and stripes, not the color shown on the box art.

The forum has a string on this pilot and plane and it is most interesting. I suggest yoiu follow it.

Or, just paint the model another scheme.

The books by Osprey (#40) have many interesting color schemes for the Triplane.

Go do some research and then have fun.

Stephen

Erwin,

An easy early mod.----

Remove all ribs (top and bottom) on axle wing (fairing) ---It was plywood covered ----smooth top and bottom

The only 'things' on it were two 'pads' on lower ----it was not 'jointed' with clips as many drawings show.

Dave.

Erwin,

An easy early mod.----

Remove all ribs (top and bottom) on axle wing (fairing) ---It was plywood covered ----smooth top and bottom

The only 'things' on it were two 'pads' on lower ----it was not 'jointed' with clips as many drawings show.

Dave.

Hi,

I will Google a bit for pictures.

Hi all,

The instructions don't mention any colors at all.

What's the color for the inside,seat,cockpitfloor,cockpitframes,etc... ?

Hi all,

The instructions don't mention any colors at all.

What's the color for the inside,seat,cockpitfloor,cockpitframes,etc... ?

HI Erwin,

SEAT was Aluminium covered in black leather all over--FUSELAGE-----two (one each side) long tri-angular formers of plywood-------behind them natural doped fabric (OFF WHITISH/GREY)---- FLOOR--- plywood with aluminium foot guides for rudder bar-----TUBULAR FRAMES------ pale greenish/grey.

Dave.

HI Erwin,

SEAT was Aluminium covered in black leather all over--FUSELAGE-----two (one each side) long tri-angular formers of plywood-------behind them natural doped fabric (OFF WHITISH/GREY)---- FLOOR--- plywood with aluminium foot guides for rudder bar-----TUBULAR FRAMES------ pale greenish/grey.

Dave.

Thanks for the info.

Looking really good Erwin. I'll be watching how you go with this oldie but goodie. Did you have any problems with warped wings? Looks as if yours went together quite well. 1/28th scale really seems to suit these WWI sized aircraft.

Dan