Striping bombs

Tallyho

Put your drill into a vice, and VERY gently place the bomb into the chuck; preferably a keyless one. Protect with masking tape. Turn the drill on, then apply the stripe with a fine brush.

Already have the fins on these, but I'll keep it in mind for the next round.

Thanks

Fred

One trick I’ve heard about, though never tried myself, is to paint desired bomb area yellow, slip on a small O-ring, paint bomb body, then remove O-ring. :angry2:

This one I will give a try, already have a bunch of o-rings laying around---good idea. Thanks

Fred

i think one could use the heat shrink tube i use for isolating electrical connections an a car for it (you can get it in different diameters). by applying very little heat (hairdryer) they snug up and follow the conical shape of the bomb.

one of these days i have to try this

O-ring is a great idea, but I assume that will give a soft edge? I usually paint the area yellow first, then add a thin strip of masking tape and paint the olive drab.

Yes, it would tend to leave a soft edge, but for lots of bombs this is perfectly acceptable. :party0023:

If you know of an orthodontist, ask him/her if he/she can spare some intraoral rubber bands.

They come in many mini sizes and are very useful.

That's the way I paint my yellow bomb rings.

Excellent idea! the flatness of the rubber bands would be, in some cases, superior to the O-rings. Thanks Eli.

I thought the tip from ARC was pretty neat.

Got to Tools n Tips -> Bombs-> Painting Perfect Bomb Stripes by Ed Nirel.

If you had to do a ring I'd imagine using his tip and then modify it with a smaller and shorter piece of styrene pipe for the top of the bomb.

As we'd say in Aussie though...there are many ways to skin a cat.

Cheers Matty

I thought the tip from ARC was pretty neat.

Got to Tools n Tips -> Bombs-> Painting Perfect Bomb Stripes by Ed Nirel.

If you had to do a ring I'd imagine using his tip and then modify it with a smaller and shorter piece of styrene pipe for the top of the bomb.

As we'd say in Aussie though...there are many ways to skin a cat.

Cheers Matty

You guys skin cats? That's horrible! :lol: