Tigercat questions

Astro32

I discovered an old AMT F7F-3N 1/48th in my stash I'd forgotten about. I'm going to build it for sale, both to keep in practice, and for the money! It has the High-Tech nose correction and 'pit resin sets, and Cutting Edge resin wheels.I can assume the 'pits are Interior Green, but what about the wheel wells? Exterior color or chromate?

Thanks in advance!

The F7F is far and away my all time fav....(im a Grumman Cat lover period!) and ive done several of the AMT 1/48 T-Cats, including an F7F-3 and and F7F firebomber.

All the documentation I have supported Zinc chromate green in the pits as well as the wells, except in some F7F-N varients that had dark blue body color in the wells, and some had lighter almost white.

This is also supported by Normal Stubbs of TBM Firebomers who not only gave me my 1000 gal resin retardant tank for my model and flew F7Fs regularly but also worked on and advised on Big Bossman unlimited racer in Reno; however Bossman is the exception to any T-Cat interior paint rules as it has white/off white in the engine bays and wheel wells, with green chormate in the front office.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Brian

Besides the zinc chromate i'd figure cockpit interior green for both cockpit and wells would be appropriate, must have read it somewhere.......

But i guess the operational Cats at that time had one of these mentioned colours, whereas the Bossman for instance is completely different in these areas.

J.

The Tigercat is probably my favorite WWII twin engine fighter. Hopefully a 32nd injection kit will come!

This AMT kit I'm going to do on my lunch break at the office when I can, and then I'll do the B-26 I found too. Hopefully I'll get a good price for them!

I will say the High Tech nose correction is AWFUL! Epoxy putty will be employed! Had I known how bad it is, I would've lopped the radome off it and scratched the rest.

Okay, since this is a zero-added expense build, has anyone a spare set of seatbelts, and a pair of Hellcat props lying around? The kit's props are horrible, and the High Tech 'pit set has no belts! :fight: Those items would really dress this thing up, so if anyone can donate, I would be grateful!

TIA!

Ross

I will say the High Tech nose correction is AWFUL! Epoxy putty will be employed! Had I known how bad it is, I would've lopped the radome off it and scratched the rest.

Okay, since this is a zero-added expense build, has anyone a spare set of seatbelts, and a pair of Hellcat props lying around? The kit's props are horrible......

Well I know its a Zero buck build, and on the seatbelts Im afraid Ive got plans for my extra sets, however this I think is about as close to Zero as one can get for a great set of props....

Obsucreco Ham Standard Props for F7F, F6F, TBM-3

Those props are absolutely outstanding...especially for the bucks....or at $6.00 lack-O-bucks....

Cheers,

Brian

I'm retaining the High Tech sidewalls of the front office, but the rest are rubbish. Kit floor with bits off the resin floor will be used, along with the kit's i.p. & rudder box.

post-1317-1258562714.jpg

The resin sidewalls are beautifully done.

Major subassemblies are now done, except for the nose. I was all set to paint the gearwells & 'pits this morning, but I'm out of Interior Green! I have some Chromate Green, but no black enamel to darken it with; they dried up.

Always something....

I'm just about ready to button up the fuse. I made my own Interior Green after buying a small bottle of Testors flat black, and the 'offices' are now in their basic colors. Turned out well! I'll post pics when I'm done weathering them. I do have a question: what color is the dirt & dust of Korea? I recall it's a reddish color, but I'm not sure. I'd like to throw in some pastels to dirty up the 'offices'!

Wings & nacelles are glued up & ready for cleanup. Engines are done. 'Pits are pretty much ready except for the pilot's seat and harnesses, which I may just make myself. Today I pick up some Glossy Sea Blue for the exterior base coat (it'll be black in the end).

Question for those who build to sell: I haven't done this in awhile. What should a reasonably well-built model in this scale sell for? I've got about 4 solid days of work into it, with minimal additional expense aside from the initial purchase close to a decade ago. Paint & the Obscureco resin props will be about it!