Hasegawa Fw 190S Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Thanks for the photo Si - I take it that's a period photo? It's a great one either way.

I have two of Dave's conversion, both a little bit warped unfortunately!

Feel like offloading one for cheap? :piliot: Actually, it's possible that it won't even fit this kit if it was designed for the newer tool, but I'd be willing to take a punt.

Glenn R has kindly forwarded a very useful drawing, which will probably form the basis of the conversion in the absence of resin. I still have a lot of unanswered questions though, and it seems I have almost no intel on this bird in my library. More checking is necessary, but there'll be a substantial amount of fudging and guesswork in this build I suspect.

Kev

Hi Kev

The instructions say this conversion is for the Has. kits ST21 08071 or ST23 08073. PM me your address and I'll see how to get it out to you! Don't want anything for it, but I'll let you know if there are any shipping charges involved.

This it what it looks like......

post-1631-1257274999.jpg

It has two canopies, one for the flat sided rear canopy and one for the triangular bulged rear canopy. I think the bulged was the less used type from the pictures I have seen.

I also have quite a few photos of these types, mostly of the Hendon example. I'll get these out as well. Should help you along a little bit. I had a few exchanges with the late Eric Larger, as he said he was researching for a book on all 58 purported examples. I don't know whether the JaPo boys would have received any of this work after his untimely death?

Two good reference books I have are:

Aircraft Monograph 4 : Fw190 A/F/G/S Part1 ISBN 83-86208-35-X

HT Model Special Focke-Wulf FW190 A/F/G/S No913 ISSN 1335-3667

The previous photo was taken at RAF St Athan around 1990 when we used to run both this and the Me410(which I was standing on to get that photo). Wish I'd taken a lot more photos than I did at the time instead of working! Wonderful times, yet sad that both aircraft are indoors and silent forever :speak_cool:

I have a couple of 1/24th kits that I hope one day to convert to this type. It's been a long time since I've done any kits (20+ years!), but I would definately move if Radu does some photoetch canopies for it! Think he said he was scared of 1/24th though, or something like that...... :P :fight:

Cheers for now

Si

Kev

One thing that I think Dave didn't get quite right was the rear 'pit.

It wasn't a repetition of the forward one, it was considerably more basic (as with most of the trainer conversions of the Luft). I haven't got anything scanned at the moment but maybe Simon has some images from the St Athan/Hendon machine...?

Good luck on this build. It'll look very nice when finished.

Matt

Hi Kev

The instructions say this conversion is for the Has. kits ST21 08071 or ST23 08073. PM me your address and I'll see how to get it out to you! Don't want anything for it, but I'll let you know if there are any shipping charges involved.

Thanks so much for your generous offer Si. I'll get a PM off to you shortly!

Kev

One thing that I think Dave didn't get quite right was the rear 'pit.

It wasn't a repetition of the forward one, it was considerably more basic (as with most of the trainer conversions of the Luft). I haven't got anything scanned at the moment but maybe Simon has some images from the St Athan/Hendon machine...?

Yeah Matt, I'd assume that there wouldn't be much to the rear cockpit, but I certainly don't have any references for it (that I've found so far). It shouldn't be hard to scratch build something basic for it though.

Kev

Hi Kev

No problems at all, hopefully will get it off soon.

There is a kit review by Tom Cleaver on Modelling Madness: http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/axis/cleaver/tmc190s8.htm

and a 1/48th Paragon conversion by James Davies on HS:http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/fw190s8jd_1.htm.

Most people regard this as a fugly bird, but I think it's one of the coolest! The rear pit is pretty basic, complete with wooden sticktop in place of the normal grip.

Kais

Good call there, the LEMB and TOCH forums are brilliant for this sort of stuff. I post as S-8 on there (wonder why? :D )

If anyone has photos of the interior or canopy in particular, I'm always after more!

Cheers

Si

Thanks for the links guys. I've signed up at LEMB but can't seem to post anywhere at the moment. No biggie, as there's plenty of reading to do. It'll be interesting to see if the UMI conversion and this old-tool kit can be made to get on, or whether it really needs to be used with a new-tool kit. We'll find out in due course I guess!

Kev

Wheeeew, nice Kevin! Looks like you got all the parts lined up, thanks to the generosity of Cymru am Byth. Nice stuff too, thanks for posting pics of what the conversion looks like. Sheesh, looks pretty complete!

I've got one of those old-tool Hasegawa FW's Kevin, and if this conversion won't match up for some reason, I can use it as a master to make up the rear hump and canopy mod. The earlier offer to vac up the parts still stands if you need them. Can't imagine that conversion not being able to work somehow though, what a beautiful piece of kit, eh?! B)

Looking forward to watching this build progress, definitely not something seen everyday! Excellent choice dude!

Wheeeew, nice Kevin! Looks like you got all the parts lined up, thanks to the generosity of Cymru am Byth. Nice stuff too, thanks for posting pics of what the conversion looks like. Sheesh, looks pretty complete!

I've got one of those old-tool Hasegawa FW's Kevin, and if this conversion won't match up for some reason, I can use it as a master to make up the rear hump and canopy mod. The earlier offer to vac up the parts still stands if you need them. Can't imagine that conversion not being able to work somehow though, what a beautiful piece of kit, eh?! B)

Looking forward to watching this build progress, definitely not something seen everyday! Excellent choice dude!

It is a very nice conversion and every time I see it I an reminded of the sad loss oF Mr. Thompson. I miss his phone calls,

JR

I've got one of those old-tool Hasegawa FW's Kevin, and if this conversion won't match up for some reason, I can use it as a master to make up the rear hump and canopy mod. The earlier offer to vac up the parts still stands if you need them. Can't imagine that conversion not being able to work somehow though, what a beautiful piece of kit, eh?! ;)

Thanks Russ! The main area of concern would be matching up the old-tool wings with resin wing roots designed to mate with the new-tool wings. If it was plastic-to-plastic I wouldn't feel so trepidacious about it, but my experience with resin is pretty limited, and nothing on this scale before. I'll get a PM off to you shortly.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Si's generosity, I now have the UMI conversion to play with. Unfortunately it's quite warped, and will be quite a challenge - probably as much of a challenge as doing it myself!

Overview:

post-3071-1259314731.jpg

Warpage:

post-3071-1259314738.jpg

The resin in this kit has a weird, almost rubbery consistency, and I can twist and bend the fuselage parts quite easily. I haven't had a great deal of experience with resin, and most of what I've worked with until now has been the hard, brittle type, so this seems quite strange to me. I might need to straighten and reinforce the fuselage halves from the inside using brass rod or similar. Before starting down that path however, I need to see how the wings of the old-tool kit mate up with the resin fuselage, designed to accommodate wings from the new-tool kit. How (and if!) the build proceeds will depend on that outcome.

More soon!

Kev

Kevin,

did you tried to dip the wraped part into not yet boiling water and push it into the right position?

Cheers,

Chris

If its not possible at least you have a 3D reference to go by and the other parts to use which is more then you had started out with