Models as nostalgia

LSP_K2

I've been kicking this idea around for some time now. I of course don't know about anyone else, but I have developed a sort of secondary (actually tertiary), hobby over the years; collecting nostalgic box art. Several years ago when I bought this house from the estate of my parents, I discovered dozens of boxes in the attic from models I built as a kid. This started an ongoing collection of similar kit boxes that reflect my young passions. Below are some examples. Does anyone else do this? If so, I'd really like to see pictures. :)

post-8159-1257091547.jpg

post-8159-1257091556.jpg

To me, you'd have to go a long way to beat the old Revell box art. I have the Zero, Spitty, Wildcat, and Aleutian Tiger kits for just those reasons. A lot of the old Tamiya box art was in the same genre: great perspectives, good detail, action....and some pretty good accuracy.

Although I have always admired some of that early box art, especially the old Tamiya armor stuff, I never collected it. In fact, I always considered it a great accomplishment when I chucked the box and left over sprues as that meant I had completed another model!

If you have any holes in your collection, let me know.

That is not a bad idea to to. I wish I would have done that also. Though I started in building commerical airliners, and now getting started or already have started in the military scene, mainly WW2, Korea, Vietnam and upto todays model offerings. Some of the old box art would have been neat to see now.

Thank you for sharing you passion with us. It is always good to see what other builders like to do in the hobby field other than build.

There was a issue of Fine Scale back around the mid 90's as to an article that was named.Wing art work ruled the skies.But i could be wrong.And for those who lived in the hay day as to when models were everywhere and i mean everywhere as to the following stores.Kresges,Five and Dime,K-mart,U'er mom and pop hobby shops and the little old toy store that had to keep up with others selling model kits.

Us older guys do remember the good old days when u could pick up a kit for the sum of .50cents up to 2.00 depending on the kit and the company who made it.The old revell kits that some of u have in u'er stash are now rare and the box art is the thing now and what u have is for some pricey and to some a thing as t wantign and adding to his collection.

The wooden kits come to mind as to the box art and the contents of th kit and some who bought those wooden kits.Just through them in the trash instead of applying ones talents and know how as to building them.Those were the Strombecker kits and they were some what ahead of their time.But back then.A model kit was a model kit for all or for some.Larry

About a millennium ago, when I was just a sprout, there were three stores within a block from my house that sold models; a pharmacy, a very small IGA, and a general store. Within two miles, there were at least five more places where I could buy models; as back then, Famous Barr, JC Penney, Woolworths, G.E.M., and Sears all sold models. I'm very pleased to have grown up in such a time. :)

Those old Revell boxes really do bring back some memories for me, the same for the Airfix ones too. It was exactly those boxes that were around when I was a modelling kid, and I built or acquired many of them. Shangri La with the chequered nose, Revell's Stuka with the big snake...

I don't collect them but I can certainly see why you would.

Kev

I always retained a huge love of the box art on the old Revell 72nd. W.W.1 subjects----remember the Sopwith triplane roaring along (contour chasing) rotary engine whirling------the white DV11 of Goering the strange Albatros D111 of Von R flying alongside a Zepplin!! But fantastic pictures which fired ones imagination....

Dave.

the fact that most "former" Revell releases in 1/32 scale have more or less been replaced with "better and/or best" equivalents made by other producers, made me turn my old Revell collection into a COLLECTOR'S collection.......meaning i won't be building these old kits, together with their original boxart, but just try and have them all in real time to be able to injoy these gems.

And ofcourse detail and correctness would be a whole different ball game compared to the better substitutes, but i feel having these kits WITH content reflects indeed my sentiments of times gone by. (they even smell good, bringing back memories from times i first ever opened up one of these boxes in the past).......

So in all Kevin, i think you're not the only one experiencing it this way,

model on,

Jack :)