A6M 2 Lt Junichi Sasie

spacewolf

Vaughn, the exhaust tubes go to the right side of each cylinder head. If you look closely you will see each cylinder head as a cooling baffle on it between the the two valve housings. they sort of look like a spear point facing the back. the front has two recessed bolt heads and there is a recessed groove going from mid point to the pointy end of the spear. That central groove is deep and the exhaust tube goes to the right, the lighter colored intake manifold goes to the left side. Thats a very nice picture by the way of a munched Zero.

I don't know if its worth the work but to do it as accurate as possible, you will need to remove the right hand manifold and make the exhaust tubes go in their place. How much of this you will see is a good question. with the cowling on, I don't think too much.

Anyway its sure looking good as you go at it.

Sabre

Vaughn, the exhaust tubes go to the right side of each cylinder head. If you look closely you will see each cylinder head as a cooling baffle on it between the the two valve housings. they sort of look like a spear point facing the back. the front has two recessed bolt heads and there is a recessed groove going from mid point to the pointy end of the spear. That central groove is deep and the exhaust tube goes to the right, the lighter colored intake manifold goes to the left side. Thats a very nice picture by the way of a munched Zero.

I don't know if its worth the work but to do it as accurate as possible, you will need to remove the right hand manifold and make the exhaust tubes go in their place. How much of this you will see is a good question. with the cowling on, I don't think too much.

Anyway its sure looking good as you go at it.

Sabre

:blowup: ~sigh~...... Ya know Sabre, you're kinda like that little guy sitting on my shoulder...... :P ...... looks like I have some more work to do, thanks. It's going to be right, even if it doesn't show. I thought I had it right but it just goes to show that if one is going for detail, it's best not only to check your ref. but also pick the brains of anyone you know who's into this stuff.

Sheesh Vaughn, All I can do is gaze in wild wonder at the effort you're putting into this. :P Can tell you're having a blast with this build, and it shows. I like it. :yahoo: Can't believe I've never built a Zero before, watching you build this up is the next best thing though. I'm a 'mixer-matcher' myself when it comes to parts, so it's a hoot watching you do this. Can't wait to see what's next! :blowup:

Sheesh Vaughn, All I can do is gaze in wild wonder at the effort you're putting into this. :P Can tell you're having a blast with this build, and it shows. I like it. :) Can't believe I've never built a Zero before, watching you build this up is the next best thing though. I'm a 'mixer-matcher' myself when it comes to parts, so it's a hoot watching you do this. Can't wait to see what's next! :closedeyes:

Thanks man, I needed that. I always liked the look of the plane.. my first one was the old Aurora yellow one. The more I dig into this and learn about the machine and how it came to be, the more I just shake my head at what a marvel it was. If the Germans had had these, the Brits would have lost the BoB. Hope you enjoy the popcorn ! :)

Sorry man, i have a thing about analyzing photos. :closedeyes: I used to run round Pearson interantional with an old 120 camera and take the weirdest shots of aircraft bits. When they came back from the processor it would sometime baffle me as to what the hell I had shot because of the strange angle so after a while I got good at figuring them out.

You know what this exhaust system remindes me of? Remember the old 60s formula one race cars like what Jim Clark drove? V12 engine with 12 snakes coming off the manifold and going into one trumpet horn. I remember reading an article in Scale modeler way back when, where the guy showed how to do convincing pipes to replace the one piece solid block cast monsters you got in most kits those days. It was like weaving with solid 12 guage wire. Each pipe had its path and they wove around one another criscrossing backn forth as the length of each had to match to tune the pipe. Then they all came together in the collector pipe and on to the trumpet. Very cool but definately crazy making stuff. I never managed to get one right. :P

Anyway, I'm sure you will make a work of art with it. Keep on keepin on! :)

Sabre

Sorry man, i have a thing about analyzing photos. :BANGHEAD2: I used to run round Pearson interantional with an old 120 camera and take the weirdest shots of aircraft bits. When they came back from the processor it would sometime baffle me as to what the hell I had shot because of the strange angle so after a while I got good at figuring them out.

Anyway, I'm sure you will make a work of art with it. Keep on keepin on! :lol:

Sabre

No need to be sorry I'd much rather have someone point out a problem. Yes it's going to be a pain to tear out the work and re do it but it'll b worth it. Photo analysis is an art in itself, and figuring out how something fits into a space can really twist your brain.

Lets try this again... I ripped all the tubes out, though I managed to save about half of them. I went over what Sabre said and checked what ref. I had then with it as straight in my mind as I could get it I started putting the intake tubes for the front bank of cylinders on. They come out of the crank case and pass close to the right of the head...

post-2514-1257948798.jpg

Then the tubes that feed the rear bank were put on going to the left side of the cylinder... what say Sabre ?.. look ok ?

post-2514-1257948933.jpg

Next was to see how the exhaust fits... not very good. The molded on knobs are nowhere near where they need to be and all but two of the ones I had added were off... not to mention the tube is short by about 1/16 of an inch.

post-2514-1257949190.jpg

The molded on bits have to go and the exhaust will be cut and a shim put in.

To all those who fell....from all nations...right or wrong the men in the middle of it were no different than you and I.. just trying to do what they had to do and hoping to get home one day....

post-2514-1257950232.jpg

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.

I cut the exhaust pipe near the top and put in a 1/16th splice. The rod that I'd glued onto the end was the only one that was kept, all the rest came off as well as the molded on knobs. Rods were glued on one at a time, cutting and test fitting over and over till all were in place, went where they were supposed to and didn't touch the other pipes.

post-2514-1257956100.jpg

post-2514-1257956126.jpg

Exceptional courage, tenacity and skill there Vaughn. Your engine is really shaping up nicely now. Can't wait to see it painted up!

Kev

Thanks Hakan & Kev... but courage ? ... just plane old fashioned stubborn Canadian "we'll get it done" attitude ! :speak_cool: I'm getting excited to see what it looks like with paint too. Though most of this will be covered it's been a real learning experience about how the real aircraft was built.

Cheers

Vaughn

Hell yes thats looking very good now. Its going to look pretty sharp when you get it painted up and installed. It occurred to me that the front cyclindars must also somehow connect to the collector ring, but it beats me as to how. Twice as many tubes shoehorned in there must be the answer but with the cowling on, they will never be seen anyway. Plus you'd start babeling and drooling if you tried it. Viewed thru the open cowl flaps, what you've go its more than enough.

Very well done Vaughn!

Sabre