alaninaustria

1/32 Scale P-40 E

I like the cockpit that Hasegawa used, but I prefer to use the Mike Grant decals and use a drop of future to simulate the glass faces...

The Mike Grant decals (www.mikegrantdecals.com) also have some cool placards... and of course the Radu Brinzan US seatbelts (www.radubstore.com)... Radu's seatbelts really make the cockpit come alive.... if you haven't tried them you better!

post-10-1256736658.jpg

Next up was the prop... I used the dry transfers from hobby decal (P-47 ones) to get the serials right... and a little dry brushing and silver paint chipping... I like to avoid decals on the outside of the build if at all possible.... I hate having to deal with the carrier film edges... :thumbsup:

Silver chipping is with a small piece of sponge and a silver marker... blot on some silver then practice on some scrap paper until it looks right and then have a go at the model...

The rivets are made using the MDC riveter.... makes nice realistic rivets and fasteners

post-10-1256736841.jpg

post-10-1256736848.jpg

Next up was the wing construction... I found this kit to go together rather nicely... I weathered the wheel bays up with a small sponge to get random chipping and some wear and tear happening :thumbsup:

I am assuming that the lend lease birds still had zinc chromate primer :shrug:

post-10-1256737018.jpg

I then moved onto the cockpit instalation and found the fit to be rather snug, but nice. The modular fit of this kit increases the work load... but with patience it is possible to get a nice finish! :thumbsup:

I am using Gunze Aqueous paints thinned with alcohol

post-10-1256737197.jpg

I then glued the fuselage all up and shot on some Mr. Sfcr 500... I first glued the rear tail parts together and then the whole part was glued to the forward fuselage.... a little sanding and presto... a nice P-40 fuselage! That primer is really the secret to a good surface... :thumbsup:

post-10-1256737362.jpg

Another view... this time from underneath... I seperated the rear elevator and rudder... I wanted to pose the elevator with a slight drop, I find this to be a classic position of the control surfaces...

post-10-1256737495.jpg

Hi Alan,

Your build is coming together nicely. Does Hobbydecal make drytransfers for the P-40?

Cheers,

Hans