1/32 Hasegawa Ki-44 Shoki (Tojo)

Dave J

I was pretty lucky to be sent to Japan to the Tokyo Hobby for work the other week. While there I picked up some bargains at the Tamiya and Hasegawa stalls. Nakajima Ki44 Hei Shoki was one of the kits I returned home with.

I was planning to build the kit out of the box as there no aftermarket goodies out, as its a new release but Scale Aviation had a small Eduard PE fret available for the kit in this months magazine.

054250070.jpg sa70-appendix.jpg

As per the instructions, I started off with the cockpit assembly. Some of the PE was added. I'm not a big fan of the pre-painted PE from Eduard, so it will be painted over.

004.jpg

003.jpg

The next issue I had was the call out for the colour of the Cockpit, it said Khaki Green... I sprayed it and it just looked to dark... (sorry for the bad light!)

005.jpg

006.jpg

After doing a little research on net and posting a couple questions, I found a colour chip for IJA Nakajima interior green... I mixed a some Tamiya colour to get a close match, but its not perfect...

007.jpg

013.jpg

I also added some fuse wire for the control linkages and drilled out the seat. The rest of the interior details were again painted with Tamiya colour...

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

I hoping to get a wash onto it tonight...

• 2 weeks later...

The fit on this kit is great! everything went together beautifully! The were a couple of spots that needed sanding, but that was my fault... I miss-lined the fuse halfs at the top at the rear and a couple spots where I had cut the sprue off too close to the part...

014.jpg

The cockpit came nicely with a heavy coat of Tamiya smoke and a flat finish..

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

She been primed in Mr Surfacer to show all the faults...

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg