ironwolf80

price jump on tamiya spitfire

I was looking at the distributor pricing on the new Tamiya 1/32nd scale Spitfire and the retail price today jumped from $130.00 to $153.00!

I am not trying to bash Tamiya as the model looks like a real nice kit but what happened over the weekend to warrant a $23.00 price jump?

The dollar is tanking against the yen and every other currency. Expect to see more increases on imported kits.

Ahh screw em'. For that price they should have done a decent Corsair or a Mustang.

As much as I think it's a jewel of a kit, to me, at that price it can sit on the hobby shop shelf and collect dust. I wish they'd wise up and realize how many they'd sell if the lowered the price to under $100..... and while the Mustang does nothing for me, a Corsair of this quality would be VERY tempting.

Cheers

Vaughn

I was looking at the distributor pricing on the new Tamiya 1/32nd scale Spitfire and the retail price today jumped from $130.00 to $153.00!

I am not trying to bash Tamiya as the model looks like a real nice kit but what happened over the weekend to warrant a $23.00 price jump?

The price of oil must have gone down again huh? (sic)

As much as I think it's a jewel of a kit, to me, at that price it can sit on the hobby shop shelf and collect dust. I wish they'd wise up and realize how many they'd sell if the lowered the price to under $100

And who, do you think, that will hit? Although I can't find out for sure, I'd bet that Tamiya's price hasn't changed, and the increase is somewhere between them and your shop. So the shop has to pay what the importer asks, whose bill increases due to currency fluctuations, and you leave it on the shelf, so the retailer goes bust, and up goes the howl "What's happened to the local model shops?" It was always said that around 70% of Tamiya, and Hasegawa's sales are in Japan, so your protest will hit only your traders (and probably lessen, even more, the likelihood of them doing highly-detailed American aircraft, in the future.)

Edgar

Guest TimC

Which distributor would that be? One distributor may be on the sly to make some additional monies. Which one raised the price? That way, we can decide whether to form a lynchmob, boycott that distributor or several other things. In the event that the retail price was raised to the distributors, I've got my preorder locked in at 9310 yen from HLJ. Exactly what that translates to in American dollars will depend entirely on the exhange rate on the day they charge me for it.

FWIW most all Tamiya prices have gone up.

I was in the market for the F-16 T-Bird kit and it now retails for $212 (Most places have it for between $160 & $170).

The dollar is tanking again. Get used to higher prices here in the states. Hasegawa prices are on the rise as well.

Jeff

Ahh screw em'. For that price they should have done a decent Corsair or a Mustang.

C'mon Tench...those of us that know you realize that secretly you really wanted them to do a Thunderbolt.

:P

I was under the impression that the MSRP on Tamiya USA's site has been in the $150 range since price was announced, not just a jump over the weekend?

C'mon Tench...those of us that know you realize that secretly you really wanted them to do a Thunderbolt.

:evil_laugh:

see i do wish they would do a thunderbolt but i aint greedy! how many spits and 109s are on the market ? yet still people want more - but then again i aint going back to my revell jugs for nothin! :mental:

ads

I'm probably going to regret this but I just preordered from HLJ as well. 9800 yen, 114 dollars Canadian. Should be interesting to see how much it ends up as after the postoffice and RevCan get finished.

Sabre

The high of the US dollar against the Yen in recent months was on 8/25/08 when $1 = Y110.12. Today's Interbank rate is $1 = Y90.00. That's a difference of over 22% in value. There's your answer.

I wish they'd wise up and realize how many they'd sell if the lowered the price to under $100.

Having spoken with the Tamiya folks a number of times, I can pretty much tell you for a fact that they don't give a rat's patoot (in a nice way) what happens anywhere outside Japan. The lion's share of their market is at home, so the plunging value of the US dollar means virtually nothing to them or to their sales of a given kit. If the kit ends up costing US $500 because the dollar is worthless, it won't do much to their bottom line.

J