Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, VF-211, No update, just responding to q's

geedubelyer

My God...

Now THIS is modelling! Those bay details are beautifully done, somehow when I attempt it they look like "pieces of wire glued to the surface". Yours looks like the real deal.

Now, where DID I put those knitting needles... :shrug:

:BANGHEAD2: :mental: :crying: :rofl: :frantic: :hmmm: :) :punk: :goodjob: :popcorn: . That pretty much explains the way your updates make me feel Guy.. pretty much in that order. the ROFL is the closest i could get to a "delirious" emoticom BTW. Again.. OUTSTANDING job thus far!! Can't wait to see what you come up with next on this baby. You still hand-painting these things or did you finally break down and buy an airbrush? cuz if you're still brush painting i need to throw another whole line of emoticoms in there! serious slick work there. Are you using the Daco book on this one?

Cheers buddy, and keep up the good work!

now i'm motivated to go work on something in the stash.. :evil_laugh:

Hi guys, glad you like the progress, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

The airframe I'm going for is the low-viz "Nickel 103" on the Fightertown decal sheet. After a gloss coat I decalled the nose section and then applied some Valejo Matt to lose the sheen.

Here's where I'm at so far....

tn_F-14nosesection030.jpg

Cheers.

He buddy nice to see you going on on this one and the progress is great mate. Telford will be a hoot this year IF you bring this one around.

Just a side note though make sure you add some spaces at the rear end mate its going to pay up later on when you mate the back and front half together. Would be a shame to see this part crack up as you know its made up quite weakly at the rear.

Cheers mate

Frederick Jacobs

Hi guys, many thanks for all of the kind comments. I'm thrilled that you like the updates and I appreciate you taking the time to stop by. ^_^
So much positive energy has me on the crest of a wave right now and I'm enjoying the model again. :D

On 7/3/2012 at 8:45 PM, stusbke said:

He buddy nice to see you going on on this one and the progress is great mate. Telford will be a hoot this year IF you bring this one around.

Just a side note though make sure you add some spaces at the rear end mate its going to pay up later on when you mate the back and front half together. Would be a shame to see this part crack up as you know its made up quite weakly at the rear.

Cheers mate

Frederick Jacobs

Hello Frederick, good to see you again buddy. Do you think you'll be able to make Telford this year? TBH, I can't see this Tomcat ever making it to the show but who knows? I'm not currently a member of any clubs or the IPMS unfortunately. I'll have to make do with seeing the gems that you guys bring. ;)
May I ask, by spacers, do you mean to spread the rear of the nose section to fit more tightly into the main fuselage?
I'm contemplating gluing some short lengths of plastic extrusion inside the bodywork that would overlap and give more strength to the joint. Would you suggest widening the cross section too?

Confession time. One of my failings is a lack of patience. I can't wait to see how stuff looks and I really admire modellers who are able to leave the canopies and windscreens of their builds covered until the last minute. For me, that is too much..... :blush:
This explains why I could n't resist un-veiling the nose section

tn_F-14_nose_section_042.jpg

I'd rather not handle the assembly too much once I've weathered with pastels so before I can start the fun stuff I took the time to add the canopy guides on the sills (#1) and the pilot's grab handle on the windscreen framing (#2)
tn_F-14_nose_section_037a.jpg

tn_F-14_nose_section_035a.jpg

The canopy guides are wine bottle foil bases (I chose foil that is black on one side) and 0.010"x0.020" Evergreen extrusion guides. I'll dry brush them to wear some of the pristeen black paint away before I'm finished. ;)
The grab handle was fabricated from a length of lead fishing wire. I chose a gauge suitable for the round bar part of the handle and flattened on end using tweezers. I shaped a metal prong into a rectangle and embossed that into the flat section before bending it into shape. When I had the correct width I bent the other side to suit and then finished the handle off by flattening that second side and repeating the embossing. Two tiny triangles of that same metal foil attach the handle to the framing.

Now I must pore of reference photos to try to decide how these birds get dirty.

Cheers,

:beer4:

Edited by geedubelyer
Updating image links

Hello Frederick, good to see you again buddy. Do you think you'll be able to make Telford this year? TBH, I can't see this Tomcat ever making it to the show but who knows? I'm not currently a member of any clubs or the IPMS unfortunately. I'll have to make do with seeing the gems that you guys bring. ;)

May I ask, by spacers, do you mean to spread the rear of the nose section to fit more tightly into the main fuselage?

I'm contemplating gluing some short lengths of plastic extrusion inside the bodywork that would overlap and give more strength to the joint. Would you suggest widening the cross section too?

tn_F-14nosesection035a.jpg

Cheers

:beer4:

yes my friend Telford is on the map and I'm all over that one. Hope to bring loads of goodies.

Regarding the spacer thingy's I would just use them on the nose section and the joint so you don't fubar the nose up when fitting it against the rear end, not sure of the widening thing though test fot in all fairness and it should become clear what to expect but I know you already know that. i like the idea of the overlapping though never though of that, point duly noted on my "do the same" list.

I love the handle though my friend looks kick ass :m0152: Looking forward to the next instalment

Cheers mate

It's good to have you back on the mojo....

Frederick Jacobs

On 7/4/2012 at 9:30 PM, stusbke said:

yes my friend Telford is on the map and I'm all over that one. Hope to bring loads of goodies.

Frederick Jacobs

Hi Frederick, good to hear. I look forward to seeing you again. I can't wait to see all of the awesomeness you and your crew will bring. :beer4:

Hi Grant, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like it so far. And thanks also for your continuing patience. ;)
In fact, that sentiment goes out to everyone who is still following along. I admire your stamina folks.... :D

Here are a couple of quick snaps of the first round of weathering on the nose section.

tn_F-14_nose_section_080.jpg

tn_F-14_nose_section_065.jpg

I'm using chalk pastels applied by stipple brush and manipulated using a moist Q-tip. It's easy to move the pastel dust around and create "sagging" in the grime. In the image below you might just be able to make it out along the demarcation line of the two cammo colours....

tn_F-14_nose_section_077.jpg

At this stage, I'm keeping most of the weathering relatively subtle. It's easy to become over enthusiastic when you're having fun and get carried away B) After studying references photos for a while I've concluded that the nose section is less weathered than the tail section. It makes sense since most of the dirt and grime will naturally work it's way back in the airstream. By keeping things subdued initially I hope to be able to tie everything together when the sub-assemblies are mated.
The exception to this is the area around the boarding steps. Many images on-line show this area to be heavily soiled so I let rip :innocent:

On the other side of the nose there are a few panels that are routinely opened by groundcrew so their edges show some dirt build up.

tn_F-14_nose_section_072.jpg

One of the characteristics that distiguish navy birds from airforce birds is obvious areas of corrosion prevention touch-ups. Again, this seems to be more evident toward the rear of the Tomcats I've been looking at so I kept myself in check (for now :whistle: )
Hopefully you can see more of the sagging in the image below.

tn_F-14_nose_section_075.jpg

Any comments on the weathering are welcomed. I'd appreciate any feedback.

The keen eyed will have also spotted the pitot. This is just a beautiful product by Master and comes with the AOA probe too. :wub:

I think I've had my fun for now. I intend to slip the seats and RIO IP coaming in place and balance the canopy in the open position before squirrelling this mini-model into the cabinet where I can keep it dust free until I need it again. Now I must turn my attention back to the intakes and main gear bays. I discovered that I still need to plumb both of the port main wheel bay sections which may take a little while and then I have to decide how to build up the intake bypass areas before attaching the intake trunking to the lower fuselage.

Wish me luck....... :frantic:

Edited by geedubelyer
Updating image links

Fantastic work, love the mottled pastel weathering!

Funny, I was just playing around the other night trying to figure out how to replicate that "look" on my F-16, I think you have nailed it my friend. Thank you for the idea, and can't wait for the next update!

• 1 month later...