More Tamiya Spit pics

jbrundt

Well..... as a life time model builder who can remember when kits were 50 cents and who's been horrified at 1/32 kits that I used to get for $ 3.50 now going for $40-70 I have said the day I spend $100 or more on a model..ya, right. Not gonna happen !

But that shot of the engine ?.... OMG !!! this kit is a jewel. Magnets to hold the cowls on ?.... I'm afraid I'm going to have to quote Sean Connery.."never say never"... This is worth every penny.

Yes, but look at those gear doors... :goodjob: Why do they have that hump??

Brad

I'm not a Spitfire nut, but from what I remember and your reaction I take it those lovely curves on the gear doors shouldn't be there ?

Vaughn

I'm not a Spitfire nut, but from what I remember and your reaction I take it those lovely curves on the gear doors shouldn't be there ?

Vaughn

Nope they should be flat, but they should have a slight curve.

Cheers

Brad

Yes, but look at those gear doors... :goodjob: Why do they have that hump??

Brad

I'm going to make a guess that this was to allow the gear to be retracted on the model? Silly if that's why they'd do something that obvious. ;)

Sorry, gentlemen, but you're wrong. When the Mk.III was built, the u/c was raked forward 2", probably as a counter to the longer Merlin XX, which put a lot of weight forward of the CofG. This extra was incorporated into the Vc, and, after that, all airframes with the C wing(as Westland were the main builders of the Vc it might also ,have been kept as an aid to the Seafire, when landing.) This had the effect of altering the angle at which the wheel entered the well, and, rather than start fitting bulged surfaces to the top of the wing (which, as we all know, did happen in 1945, but that's a different story,) the wheel was allowed to hang a little lower in the well, and the doors were curved, to allow for this.

Edgar

Very nice.....but didn't WWII era Spits - including the MkIX - have flat undercarriage fairings?

The bulged ones in the pictures seem to have the small insert to accomodate a scissors link too - as in the Seafire later models.....maybe I'm wrong but I pick up on stuff like that.

Other wise it looks as cool as!

How much do you think they'll market it at? (in GBP - pounds)