Revell Ju-88A-1

gaz262

I'm a little new here but thought you guys may be interested in this early war Ju-88-A-1 which sank through a frozen lake or fjord in Norway in 1940.

The aircraft has been raised, virtually intact to reveal some surprising colour anomalies for the undersides on this Ju-88 which was no more than 4 months old when it was lost.

Have a look at this link to the museum restoring it and try to read your way through its fascinating if rather short history.

http://www.ju88.net/

The underside of the aircraft was painted from the factory in a very pale, whitish-grey and had been patched, brush and spray painted in blue, presumably RLM65. I have a great .bmp picture of the Revell model kit (which was mastered from the real aircraft in the museum by the people at Revell) made by the museum showing the pattern on the undersides as it was recovered from the cold water.

Have a look at this pic too, it shows U4+TK just as it began to slowly sink through the melting ice.

http://img157.imagevenue.com/img.php?image...1_122_392lo.jpg

Best regards

Gaz

Ju_88_underside.bmp

Welcome to LSP Gaz. Guttorm Fjeldstad, team leader on that Ju 88 restoration, is a member here, and has been providing us with many juicy details about the restoration, and indeed the Ju 88 itself. Guttorm was instrumental in facilitating the bringing to market of Revell's marvellous 1/32 kit. His thread in the Works in Progress forum is a must-read.

Kev

:)

thanks for the nice words Kevin :)

and welcome onboard Gaz

Hey hey Gotto!

Great thread on 'your' 88 my friend.....many interesting bits of data in there to digest.

I hope you don't mind me using the pic you sent me of the underside of the model for the colour scheme. I thought maybe you posted it on here for everyone to see yourself but I've not found it yet.

Can I just ask a quick question on the ETC bomb racks that were recovered with the 88....What colours were these in please? The light grey or RLM65?

Cheers and keep up the good work

Gaz

you will also find that picture in my build thread and also on the detail thread if i remeber correct :please:

that is one of my 88 models you just posted a picture of..hehe and i have painted that after the original we are restoring just to show how it looked when we salvaged it

you will also find that picture in my build thread and also on the detail thread if i remeber correct :coolio:

that is one of my 88 models you just posted a picture of..hehe and i have painted that after the original we are restoring just to show how it looked when we salvaged it

I pretty much figured that Gutto my friend but I'm using it as a test subject now.....Hehehe!

Until I get the Academy F-16 pics up & running anyway.

Thanks for all the fantastic and very relevant Ju-88 stuff mate, we shall come over some time and visit the museum when funds permit.

Cheers (Skol!)

Hi Gaz and welcome to LSP. I'm pretty new here too but it's a great group. Outstanding Ju-88 stuff there. You folks are mighty fortunate! Keep the pics coming.

John Bardwell

Hi John, it's good 'ere innit?

I hope to have some big F-16 pics up soon - once I've figured how to add them properly of course.......

What's your aircraft interests mate?

Hi Gaz,

My interests are mostly WW 2 and Korean war era a/c although I have built some modern jets, etc. I was strictly 1/48 for ages but now that 1/32 has come on strong I'm building some of them now. I have no idea where I'll put the completed models!

John

I make Korean era aircraft from time to time too John.....I was the same with 1/48 - exclusively so until a colleague emigrated and left me his entire kit collection! He had a lot of BIG stuff in there and I've wetted the old appetite now.....

We have a convberted loft to store my made-up models in but that's running out of space again - time to arrange a trade-off with the local model shop methinks!