FOKKER D-VII

ruzlkampf

Oooooh my, I missed a day of posting last night! Drat! :evil_laugh: Thanks for the kind compliments Gentlemen, I'm not moving too fast on this build (too many darn distractions! :P )....but I sure am having a blast. Gonna post pics of where I was yesterday; I was just getting the front of this thing painted red, and finishing off all the decals on the wings. With all the rib-tapes and lozenge,.....I counted 138 decals on these 3 wings! :frantic: Before I get started, I wanted to show one of my sojourns into yet larger WW1 planes. Check it out. Only 27.1 inches long,....but has a 51.9 inch wingspan. I ain't got enough fingers 'n toes to calculate that out in in metrics at the moment, but it's pretty dang big for a wood plane. I like it.

I printed it out in color in 1/32nd scale, because I'm working on that cool hand-painted lozenge covering....and I needed a pattern.

post-4413-1256908196.jpg

But I digress; Still working on this D-VII's paint job. Here's the fuse ready for painting the red nose. Pretty boring stuff, but it looks a lot cooler tonight. Those pics will have to wait until tomorrow's update. Plans in the background are for a forthcoming project that I'm acquiring 'stuff' for.

post-4413-1256908571.jpg

Okay, I had printed up my rib tapes on some clear laser-printer decal paper. My experiments with the ink-jet stuff have ceased. Wings are decaled top/bottom, and I had just started on the tapes. I went with blue,....just cuz. Broad over-view shot of the progress at that point.

post-4413-1256908851.jpg

Kinda busy as usual, so I need to scram. Last pic of where I wuz last night, with the bottom wings taped on the ribs.....and letting the top wing finish drying. Tonight I got the iron crosses on top/bottom after finishing up the tapes on the top wing, and the skulls on the side of the fuse. This thing is just about ready to go together! Whoohoo! :frantic:

Last pic of the night, as I must leave in haste. More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1256909159.jpg

Aaaaargh, almost got too distracted and miss another night of posting something. Garn, I'm getting behinder and behinder on keeping up! :speak_cool: Thanks for the kind words Kevin! Hey, I used to live in Biloxi back before hurricane Camille went thru! I hear it's a lot different now? Yep,...I'm going to eventually make a Staaken Vaughn. I wanted to make an airship Zep; but I can't figure out how I'd get it out the door. :m0152: Pretty close to 3 feet wide. Blast!

Okay, here's where I was last night. Letting things dry whilst posting some previous pics. Just got the red painted on the nose and under-carriage, and a few other assorted what-nots. Oh yeah, I was just getting ready to put the skulls on the side too. Check out my decals! Whoohoo!

post-4413-1256995577.jpg

A few more bits and decals added. I'm still working on the ammunition feed chutes and cartridge ejector channels for the guns. Weekend is here, so I should be able to catch up on posting a bit. Want to show ya'll how my wings turned out, and how I'm going to install that top wing. NOT looking forward to that maneuver. More pics tomorrow! Later, Russ

post-4413-1256996029.jpg

post-4413-1256996046.jpg

Yep,...I'm going to eventually make a Staaken Vaughn. I wanted to make an airship Zep; but I can't figure out how I'd get it out the door. :hmmm: Pretty close to 3 feet wide. Blast!

Ahhh details ! Why is it that reality stops us having fun ? Build yourself a Zep shed and then you can build BIG scale models ! :party0023:

Looking great man, very nice work with the decals, gotta learn how to do that. :post1:

Cheers

Vaughn