Jump to content
ruzlkampf

FOKKER D-VII

Recommended Posts

Thanks for following along Håkan! These builds just wouldn't be the same without your constant support.....much appreciated buddy! ^_^ I don't know about 'talent' Kevin, I'm just too 'punkin-headed' and daft to know I shouldn't be trying half the stuff I do. Sure do have a lot of fun, but my results are usually less than optimal. :hmmm: Aaaaah, that's modeling though, I just try to do better next time.

But I digress; Speaking of less than optimal,....I've been having to whittle and shape every piece that's gone into this kit so far. Not blasting Battleaxe, as this is a limited-run kit and is part of the fun of working with these. They sure look the part in the end, with some careful fitting and sanding. Here's a pic of the fuse side with the cockpit in place, and my home-made motor support holding up the rear of the engine. Works OK. I ran out of pilots, so I'm going to be using heads/arms/legs from a plethora of different subjects to sculpt the last one I'll need. More on him later.

 

post-4413-1255945917.jpg

 

 

Couldn't resist (and it's very wise to do on these Battleaxe kits) the chance to mock everything up, and put this on it's wheels. Took a few tries, and flipping around to make sure I got those under-carriage legs going the correct way. I think.

 

 

post-4413-1255946097.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plastic is kinda weird on this particular kit. Carves like soap,....which is good,....but doesn't really like my normal glues. Turns it yellow too. Hmmmm. ^_^ Sooo, I'm using a bottle of Tenax glue for the first time, and it's doing the trick. More pics I took while looking at the progress so far. Guess I'd better figure out an 'ace' soon, so I can get a color-scheme going?

 

 

post-4413-1255946406.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good and love that rear engine support ! Too bad that motor will be mostly hidden, it looks sweet. So, going to have a Frankenpilot hmmm ? Can't wait to see this one. Keep up the amazing (and FAST ) work, It's inspiring... and a bit intimidating, to watch you crank these things out..but it's never dull ! ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some closer pics of the front. I'm going to be modifying the intake manifold a bit to make it look like the 185hp BMW motor, and adding a few other widgets to make it look busier. Last pics f the night, and just a small update on the progress. Gotta go surfing on the net to look for a nice D-VII ace paint-job tonight, so I'll leave things here. More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

 

 

post-4413-1255946700.jpg

 

 

post-4413-1255946720.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoakay, Finally got my Fokker D-VII Aces #'s 1-2 from Osprey so I wouldn't have to do all the mind-numbing research into a color scheme for an ace. Got it narrowed down to one Jasta at least Håkan! :) Because I already put some 4-color lozenge on the E-V, I really wanted to give the 5-color decals a go on this one. Whuh-oh,....first problemo. The early D-VII's with the olive-streaked fuse's had the 5-color stuff on their wings, and I've made my model up as a later Fokker-built version. They mostly had the 4-color stuff. BLAST! :huh:

I've found a work-around for that, with a little 'fudging'. More on that in a bit. Yep Kevin, the first thing I thought of when I started playing with this plastic was your Macchi. This kit doesn't fall together by any stretch of the imagination,...but it sure is fun to whittle on! I invested in these Osprey books, cuz I am definitely going for the Wingnuts D-VII when it comes out. But I digress;

Ben working on what-nots while waiting for my references to arrive. Got a pilot sculpted outta an old Hasegawa Me-109 pilot to look more like a WW! guy. Also played with the intake manifold on the kit engine to make it look more like a BMW 185hp motor. After some looking, I see I got my scratched radiator cap in the wrong place for this motor and it'll have to be moved further down. Here's some pics.

 

post-4413-1256382457.jpg

 

 

post-4413-1256382478.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to do a lot of whittling to get the tail-feathers to sit right, but they'll do alright. Got the weekend to work on smoothing things out, and getting a paint-job on this spud. Whoohoo!

 

 

post-4413-1256383031.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's all I have for reference. I'm really digging the skull on the side of fuse on that Vol #1 Osprey book. Jasta 15 markings are where I'm going with this build.

 

 

post-4413-1256383311.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI Ruz,

 

Be careful with the Jasta 15 skull and bones mate---it uses a different set of cowling side panels and totally different exhaust outlet position.

 

check refs.---and if you want anything that the DATAFILES can help with, let me know.

 

Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×