FOKKER D-VII

ruzlkampf

Closer look at the markings. Here's a profile of that skull carrying plane. I like it,....BUT it's an earlier version than what I have. Bah! Has the 5-color wings I want, and that streaky fuse is covered with some cool colors.

post-4413-1256383491.jpg

Looking a bit further, I finally found a plane in this squadron that was re-engined with the BMW motor,....but it's still got the early 5-color lozenge and cool colors. Unfortunately, it doesn't have all the late cooling louvers on the side of the cowling it's supposed to have. I can live with that. It's the one on the bottom marked '4-D'. I'm liking the one on top though, cuz it has 2 white stripes on the elevators to denote a leader. Hmmmm, just might have to put some leaders 'streamers' on the struts or elevators for the coolness factor. Anyway, it'll be one of these 3. Starting to paint tomorow, so I'll post more pics as things progress! :) Later, Russ

post-4413-1256384007.jpg

The '4D' emblem on Marconnay's DV11F came from his earlier service in the cavalry and was the 'branding iron' emblem of his old Dragoner-Regiment von Bredow---and the machine still showed the overpainted winged sword emblem of it's former owner Hauptmann Berthold.

It would be a cracking choice Ruz.

Dave.

Great work on that pilot Russ - he looks terrific! I think you forgot the wings though buddy. :m0152:

Kev

Bwhahahaha! I THOUGHT I left something out? :beer4: Heh heh, I've included some in this update for yuh Kevin. It has taken me a bit to get them puttied and smoothed out,....there were some molding problems. Nothing insurmountable, and all part of the fun of a limited-run kit.

Yep, I could re-do things and make this an earlier version,....if I was so inclined Sabre. Alas, I don't kow-tow down to any idols of scale fidelity or I would do so. This build is all about making and applying my 5-color lozenge decals. Everything else is superfluous, and I refuse to get bogged down in minutae or 'veins-popping-outta-my-forehead' arguments or kibitzing. This thread will close in a second, and I'll go play elsewhere if this build becomes anything but fun. I've already got the intake and exhaust of the 185hp BMW on the engine, and the side of the upper cowl cut out for the header. The kit comes with the smoother side panels and exhaust of the earlier version. I really thought I would find an ace with a 5-color lozenge, and the later motor,.....but no love. The 10-year old kid (or whomever) that I give this away to will care less, and neither will I.

Okay, couldn't leave well enough alone on the mg's, so I thought I'd try a little madness Vaughn! :beer4: Resin guns in the kit are really nice, but I want those perforations on the cooling jackets and some gunsights. Kit plastic pieces are a bit too clunky for me.....so I transmorgrified the resin bits to accept the PE parts. This entailed cutting the resin cooling jackets out, putting a gun barrel in, and installing the PE over my new stuff. Here's how it went down;

post-4413-1256466682.jpg

Alright, had to remove the radiator fill neck I had installed previously because it was in the line of fire of the port mg. Installed the funky 'bullet channels' over the top of the engine, and whittled things to line up the mg's with these 'splash-shields'(or what they're called). I had to cut away the ammunition feed chutes as they were molded on top of the bins to do this. I'll just relocate them after the guns are pegged into place, and add the shell ejection chutes later. No big whup. Here's what it looks like all mocked up;

post-4413-1256467125.jpg

Not sure whether to paint the fuse, or start putting decals on the wing first? Probably the wing, as there will be a lot of drying time, and I plan on putting all those pesky rib-tapes. Anyway, I'll post more pics as things progress. Later! Rus

post-4413-1256467960.jpg