Maj Lionel W. B. Rees, DH-2, No. 32 Squadron RFC

TimW

It took awhile....but the wings are on and apparently holding. I had to redrill some rigging holes, but so far so good. I expect the rigging to strengthen the whole thing and stop it from wobbling quite so much. I had a similar problem with the Bristol Fighter.

post-717-1258835660.jpg

OMG, I can't even imagine. ;) Excellent job getting all those struts all lined up and together. Whew! One of these days, I'm gonna HAVE to try a full-on rigging job. So you use fishing line for your rigging? Hmmmm. I'll definitely be watching this with much interest....when WNW's comes out with the FE-2B I won't be able to put off the clipper ship rigging any longer. Must.....have....that aircraft. :piliot: At least it'll be a bit larger than this, man...this must be dinky?

Looking great Tim, can't wait to see the next progress pics!

>when WNW's comes out with the FE-2B I won't be able to put off the clipper ship rigging any longer. >Must.....have....that aircraft.

You and me both!!! I really hope they get some of those aircrew/groundcrew figures out soon, also.

Tim W.

And the view from aft. The engine is more or less done, but won't go on anytime soon.

Amazing work and quite the juggling act getting everything lined up ! Gives one a whole new appreciation of that it must have been like to put together and rig the real thing, much less go out flying and fighting in one !

Cheers

Vaughn

Amazing work and quite the juggling act getting everything lined up ! Gives one a whole new appreciation of that it must have been like to put together and rig the real thing, much less go out flying and fighting in one !

Cheers

Vaughn

I had a computer flight sim way back when (Red Baron?). The DH-2 was one of the aircraft you could fly and I recall when you racked it around in a tight turn, you heard all this creaking/squeaking from the aft tail/stabilizer booms.

That must have been unnerving for the pilots, as well, assuming they could hear it.

Tim W.

I had a computer flight sim way back when (Red Baron?). The DH-2 was one of the aircraft you could fly and I recall when you racked it around in a tight turn, you heard all this creaking/squeaking from the aft tail/stabilizer booms.

That must have been unnerving for the pilots, as well, assuming they could hear it.

Tim W.

Many books written by the pilots talked about how concious they were of how frail their 'kites' were...It wasn't all that uncommon to see an over stressed machine break up in a fight so I'm sure it was on their minds.. just one more emotional stress among many. A lot of them had mechanical backgrounds and worked with their riggers, fitters and armorers to make sure they had every advantage they could. Many of them spoke of after a fight at high altitude switching off the engine and gliding back listening to the wind in the wires.

• 4 weeks later...

Well....I learned that dropping a kit while rigging it is a bad thing. :speak_cool:

And the rigging was going so well...

Lower left wing came off, but the already installed rigging actually held it together.

Managed to get things back in once piece, but one strut is too short (need to lengthen with scrap plastic) and I'll have to use some de-bonder on the rigging that was in place and is now not looking so good (using fishing line).

Woohoo.

Tim W.

Surgery successful! Got the wing back on and struts in place. Most of the rigging was fixable, apart from some of the between strut braces that will have to be redone but not a biggie.

Whew... now it has to dry for a week or so!

Tim W.

Well....I learned that dropping a kit while rigging it is a bad thing. :DodgeBall:

Ouch!!! :rofl:

Surgery successful! Got the wing back on and struts in place. Most of the rigging was fixable, apart from some of the between strut braces that will have to be redone but not a biggie.

Whew... now it has to dry for a week or so!

Tim W.

Glad to hear the surgery was a success. This looks like a very complex assembly to me, but rigging always gives me the shivers!

Ouch!!! :BANGHEAD2:

Glad to hear the surgery was a success. This looks like a very complex assembly to me, but rigging always gives me the shivers!

I was worried for awhile there I would end up junking the whole thing in despair and starting over...but I will keep slogging.

I will post pix soon, but probably after the holidays.

Merry/Happy Christmas and New Year's to all....!

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

I'm glad she's all recovered now.Any new update? Excellent project my friend,can't wait to see your DH-2 completed. I've got this kit also so hope to beg barrow or just swipe building tips. Take care.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette