W German F-104G Starfighter

LSP_K2

I wouldn't bother to be honest. The Starfighter isn't covered in rivets at all, they're all smooth and can't be seen other than at very close range. The only Starfighters that look really rivet-covered are museum exhibits that have weathered pretty badly. You'd be better-off drawing some of the detail back on in pencil to get the right effect. Reminds me of that 48th scale kit Hasegawa did - beautiful moulding but covered in lil holes which just ain't there on the real aircraft, so you have to fill and sand most of the damned kit before you even get started! At least they had the decency to leave their 32nd scale kit holes free (shame about the raised detail though but yeh it is kinda old now!).

Yes, I understand the arguments pro and con regarding flush rivets, but I think they add visual interest if not over stated. It just comes down to personal choice I suppose. To my eye, panel lines alone on a model of this size are visually uninteresting. On the other hand however, not replacing them has an appeal all its own too. I may just get lazy and not bother, declaring them to be unnecessary; we’ll have to see.

Regards,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Received my Aires engine section Friday; this puppy has to be seen to be believed. This is clearly worth the money in my opinion; should add considerably to the overall visual appeal. :)

Kevin

post-8159-1254673390.jpg

Hi Kevin,

if you lower the T.E. Flaps, you must lower the leading edge flaps, too. They can´t drive alone.

The position lights at the aft section of german 104`s aren´t red or green, they are white and orange.

Greetings

Mike :)