Smoothing out filling???

abledog5

:rolleyes: Need some information on how to smooth out filling so it does not show when painted over. I have sanded it smooth and even placed primer over, but some times it showes where I filled in a gap. also there are times there to be small holes in the filling afrer I sand it even . Is this caused by smothing I'm not doing? Any help will be appreciated.

abledog5

;) Need some information on how to smooth out filling so it does not show when painted over. I have sanded it smooth and even placed primer over, but some times it showes where I filled in a gap. also there are times there to be small holes in the filling afrer I sand it even . Is this caused by smothing I'm not doing? Any help will be appreciated.

abledog5

Hey able,

The way I do it is I get some good Primer and put a (light) coat on the model and then I see where I need to touch up. If I need to touch it up I then add some more putty, let it dry and then resand it down. Make sure before you paint it with the primer, buff and smooth the surface first. I like to use double sided or triple sided smoothing/buffing sticks. You can find them just about any hobby store or even at wal-mart in the nail department, squadron.com even has some if youd like to spend a little extra loot. After you smooth the surface out I re-primer the model with a light light coat just on those areas puttied (if you have an airbrush that would be best) and then repeat the process until its smooth. I Hope this helps.

SEMPER FI,

Bret

Thanks, I will try this and see if it solved my problem. I was adding putty and would sand it. Then add more filling and resand. I was felling I was doing smothing wrong. Thanks for the advice.

abledog5

Abledog,

I had the same problem you are having now. Some fillers are lower grade than others. I switched to 3M Acryl Blue and have never looked back. I got my tube in a NAPA auto parts store. Everyone that I know that has switched to Acryl Blue loves it. It's about $15 for a 21 oz tube, so it's a good value as well. I've had the same tube for about 9 years now and have used less than half.

Here is a link so you know what you are looking for: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...JglN44DZ0ZP4Wbl

HTH,

Crash

Thanks for the information on thr Acryl-blue.Sound like just what I need. I do a lots of scratch building and there nothing that makes me mader than not get the finish I need on a model. Thanks again. I'll get some tomorrow and try it.

abledog5