Hawker Hurricane IId

Butler

I've had this kit sitting under my desk for a while now and I feel it's time to make a start. This is a kit that appeared in the same box as my Typhoon so i didn't pay anything for it :(

I'm going to make this into a companion for my Typhoon so i'll be displaying the port side access panels open and i'll be cladding it with beer can again. I got the hang of this technique half way through last time so i'm keen to try again, only this time i'll be planning this from the start :)

This is how i've split the kit up so far, i'll make each part as a module then stick it back together at the end! Thankfully the wings seem to have some sort of join finisher here on the real plane so attaching the wings back on should case few problems. I'll be scrapping that entire wheel well section apart from the leading edge. The join with the tail for this part splits a panel into three pieces so it doesn't seem worth keeping it.

post-4669-1251032614.jpg

The instrument panel is the kit version and just in the photo for illustration. i'll be making a better version later.

This plane will be a mkIId so it will have the vickers 'S' guns under the wings and done up in dessert camo :)

While you're looking you might be able to answer one of these questions: :P

- Anyone know which Tamiya acylics i'd need for the brown, sandy yellow and azure blue colours for this scheme?

- The 'd' models had just one .303 for sighting, but did it have a bespoke wing setup with a small gun access panel, or did it use the normal four gun panel arrangement with three of the guns missing?

post-4669-1251033425.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments guys :)

I've been spending most of my time looking intently at how things will go together and not really doing much actual modelling, but i've managed to produce this so far:

Wheel well....

post-4669-1251237912.jpg

And the surrounding bits. These are just placed on for the photo, the large piece of kit i've discarded is on the left hand side. My version still needs some surface detail added and i've left space to add some flap bays.

You might notice that the piece of wing leading-edge has a ridge filed into each side. This is so I can clad the rest of the wing with beer can but leave the difficult compound curved sections as plastic without leaving a 'step'. :)

post-4669-1251238019.jpg