Lockheed SR-71

Hmm umm...Going for the 'Gollum' look are we?... :bow: :P

Nice cans Russ - the buisiness end of the dark one is really looking mean now ;)

Derek

Whaaaaahah! :lol: Not one,....but TWO broadsides below the waterline from Derek! I'm going to 'Americanize' him yet. :) Yeah, I'm still working on the lanky hairstyle, but I've got the 'just dug up pallor' down pretty good Derek. Hmmmm, actually that mangy hairstyle would be a pretty dapper compliment to my normal beach-wear of an optivisor and loin-cloth. :hmmm: (OK, I sometimes also wear a sombrero afixed at a jaunty angle too, but I've been hacking some of the rhinestone flourish around the brim off for the front landing lights for the landing gear on this thing. Alas)

But I digress; Glad to see ya'll still following along, even though I'm bombing badly. Hang around,...I'll probably still go down in flames yet! :P As I'm still in 'coffee recovery mode', I've been working on placid simple things. Unlike Mr. Derek, I don't have a problem finding uses for scrap PVC pipe I have laying around. :blink: Started work on the 'inner engine' I've been squawking about, and I got some (crappy) pics later in this update. First, I thought I'd ease into something tranquil. Time to play with clay/tape/cardboard and mold up some tires for this to sit on. This is fun, and good therapy.

post-4413-1259358259.jpg

I didn't put hubs and bolts on the masters, cuz I was able to see massive pinholes and potential air pockets in my future. Sheesh, I'll be telling fortunes next? Anyway, I'm never happier than when surrounded by goopy nasty 'stuff', so here I go. Those hubs 'n bolts will be added after casting BTW. This RTV is measured by weight, not volumn....so I use my super-duper $10 dollar scale. Hey, it's digital. :)

The blue stuff goes into the white stuff and gets mixed. Then I slough it into the molds with a stick. Very technical.

post-4413-1259358820.jpg

Okay, while I'm getting all that junk off my fingers/hair/and outta my armpits, (don't ask) I decided to Dremel off the edge of PVC pipe and add some styrene to make up a mockery of the tail-end of a J-58. Pipe on the left is modified, right is still just cut. I'll show some close-ups in a sec.

post-4413-1259359327.jpg

OK, not much of this sticks out into what I call the afterburner section. Those circular holes are covered up by the engine nacelle itself. Check out the previous pic I have of the engine interior in my previous update to see what I mean. I just want something to 'busy up' the insides of the yawing hole inside the afterburner assembly. It's pretty wide.

Closer view of what I got going on here;

post-4413-1259359871.jpg

....and what it looks like dropped into the burner assembly. This is without the afterburner 'petal' assembly that goes on over this.

post-4413-1259359951.jpg

Speaking of the 'turkey-feather' part of the burner,....remember I couldn't decide whether to have them open or closed? They'll be closed. Here's why. Check out how the 'petals' articulate thruout the speed range. Cool huh?! :) Also, Hubert mentioned earlier that my shock cones looked like they were in the 'mach-3' position. Tain't so. They OPEN as things get blurry to keep the shock-wave impingement close to the nacelle. A pic is worth a gazillion words, so here it is;

This AC actually gets more fuel efficient that faster it goes, and the engine thrust only provides 20-25% of the actual thrust. The rest is provided by the by-pass doors and ducting around the engine. Basically the turbines get it up to a speed to become somewhat of a ram jet. Pretty cool stuff. Speed is limited by the actual turbine inlet temperature.

post-4413-1259360357.jpg

OK, enough semi-technical blah blah! Here's another shot of the insides of the aft end of my engines. These 'thingys' I'm putting in now just serve to busy things up, and keep it from looking like it is.,,,,an empty inverted cone. Still got a ways to go on this, and it's not deep enough for me to put the turbine bullet fairing and afterburner spray circles but I'm looking to see how far I'm going to go with this.

post-4413-1259360860.jpg

Sooo,....here's where I'm at presently. Working on matching the other 'engine guts' and waiting for my RTV to set up on my wheels. Ready to get this last major mock-up completed so I can start doing finish work on the airframe and get this BLACK again! Should have some pics of the 'turkey-feathers' assembly later on tonight, and maybe some stuff on how I'm going to detail the by-pass outlets when I update things again. See ya'll then, eh?! Later, Russ

post-4413-1259361035.jpg

Lemme show ya'll what the snozzle of the 'real-deal' looks like at this point.

post-4413-1259359472.jpg

Are you sure about that engine? That's a Vark in the background not a Blackbird... I'd recognize those pylons anywhere, as I spent two years of my life hanging weapons off of 'em.

Are you sure about that engine? That's a Vark in the background not a Blackbird... I'd recognize those pylons anywhere, as I spent two years of my life hanging weapons off of 'em.

Yep, that's a "Pig" in the background. The engine in the foreground is not a TF-30 so I gather it does belong to a BBird!

The blue stuff goes into the white stuff and gets mixed. Then I slough it into the molds with a stick. Very technical.

post-4413-1259358820.jpg

Just be careful not to put it next to the mouth wash...we wouldn't want you having any accidents now, would we? :speak_cool: :please:

Nice engine detail Russ - I like the way you have made these, they already look most convincing.

Derek