Lockheed SR-71

Its a good idea you have to make the wing the way you are. That section when done will give you all the angles, and proved a solid foundation for the LE, TE and all the rest of it. Those you can do in individual sections, and hang them off the main frame without worry about twisting or otherwise knocking the base out of alignment.

Have at it my friend, this is a way cool build.

Sabre

103 days n a wake up

do..or do not..there is no try

so this i will watch with interest :(

cool

YES, yes, yes!!!! I agree with you totally Guttorn!! Time to light the fuse on this hot-rod and go Mach 3. :) Whoakay, start of day 2 finds me needing to do some more basic stuff. Yeah, a big yawn....but VERY important none the less. Re-taped up my pattern onto the wing 'slab' to get the main wheel-wells cut out. That was kinda fun actually. Here's some views of the carnage.

post-4413-1250991022.jpg

As can be seen, this 'gatorboard' can be cut to quite a fine line. I use an exacto knife, followed by a swipe with some sandpaper. The edges of this stuff will cut like a razor blade. ALWAYS be safe!!!

post-4413-1250991274.jpg

Okay, now time to waddle on over to the nose gear well. Here's some plans cut out of another profile and set on top of my 'basic-overview' plans. (that have all my 'strategic markings' all over them.....yeah, right. :) ) This is what I need.

post-4413-1250991475.jpg

Now, most of that nose is going to be cut away because of the cockpit cavity that I'm going to be grinding into it. I just left it on there for now to help with the visualization thing whilst I show ya'll pics of this in progress. As can be seen, thee won't be much left. I'm waiting until I start putting bulkheads 'n stuff on it before I start the 'destruction-before-construction' phase.

Because I'm still at the 'basics' right now.....I gotta have a shape to work with for a cockpit in the future. Another cut-out from some interior plans to the rescue! See those plans under the fuse? That's what I enlarged to get what I'm using as patterns here! heh heh. :( Also got my 'lumps-that-are-passing for-pilots-for-now' out to see how they stack up. Sweetness!, They're basically the correct scale. whew! :)

post-4413-1250992111.jpg

Okay, back to reality. When I posted the pic of the slab-sided mock-up earlier, I was afraid that everybody would assume that I was just going to cover some basic shapes with styrene and call it good. No way man. This model will have at least 50 bulkheads, all different. (not counting the 15 or so that go across the mid-fuse area that are basically identical.) That's why it took me so long to line everything up in the beginning. I've only got about 1-2mm of 'squiggle room' in the entire planform of this entire aircraft.

Here's an example of why the datum-lines and geometry are so critical. My 'gatorboard' is right at 5mm thick, and the wing is not much more than that.(about 7mm?) A TON has to line up correctly, from the leading edges of the wings to the fuse chines....to the incidence on the wing versus the angle-of-attack on the engine nacelles. That's the entire reason I'm building this thing....the challenge and fun of pulling it off. Here's an example of some of the tolerances I'll be dealing with just on the wing. Even though what I have now is just a slab,....it's going to be COVERED with varying sized formers to get the right 'swoop' and look. Hey, I got a lot of people looking over my shoulder on this one and I want to get it right. If somebody like 'Scotsman' (who knows probably every line on this plane) looks at this and says, "yeah, alright spuds"....I'll be one happy little knucklhead.

Here's some pics of what will be on top of this slab-like wing before it's all over with, and how tight it's going to be.

post-4413-1250993389.jpg

Those center-lines get to be pretty critical eh? That's why I have all those red 'strategically placed lines' all over my plans. Ooooh, I can't wait to get started on getting those formers all lined up and eyeballed smooth. That's what this is all about.

post-4413-1250993610.jpg

Whoohoo! Time to step back and take another look. A lot is going to be chopped off what you see here, it's just on there to further line stuff up. Now that the wheel wells and cockpit internals have been figured out....it's time to start whittling on some formers to get a 3-D shape gong on. :)

post-4413-1250993818.jpg

Think I'll start on the former that is directly in front of the wing and work my way forward towards the cockpit first. I've gotta have more structure around the pit before I start hacking it out. Gotta go get some coffee now, and get all wound up for a bulkhead cutting party I'll be on for most of the night. I'll post some more pics before I crash for the night. Squawk at ya'll then!!! Later, Russ

post-4413-1250994083.jpg

End of Day-2; I'm calling it a night. :) Talking like a robot,...so it's time for a nap. Pics of the start of the 'Operation Bulkhead'. Notched and starting to stack em up like a row of dominoes. My usual crappy pics. heh heh.

post-4413-1251024098.jpg