Calling Chris S..P47 Question

theseeker

Wiggy from ARC needs some help. Here is post from ARC.

"Greetings.

OK, lets get right to the point...

I'm building a JUG: Republic P-47D-25 Thunderbolt BU#42-26635.

"MX*E" flew with the 82ndFS, 78th FG.

Alright, here's the question.

What are the correct colors of this ship?

A pilot (Hewit) who flew MX*E "seems to recall" RAF Dark Green over RAF Azure.

Squadron Signal #67 Pg.36 says MX*E was Medium Green over Sky.

Then, I recently saw a decal sheet for MX*E in 1/72nd scale- with MBF on the belly??????????!

At this point I don't care who's right, only what's right.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Please share your knowledge and educate me.

Many thanks, Wiggy"

Hard to say exactly on these birds. I did mine in RAF Dark Green over RAF Sky Type S. During the research it was almost impossible for me to get definitive color call outs.

4.jpg

HTH

Hey Man, thanks for the reply.

What a beautiful job you did on MX*X!

WOW. :blink:

It must have been a "hurry-up" time in the 78th Fighter Group there in June of 1944.

"Paint it with what's available" must have been the practice.

I noticed the 82nd Fighter Squadron "Red" rudder on your ship.

I've seen this on their later aircraft- the P-51 Mustangs.

When did the Squadron start using Red on the P-47 rudders?

MX*E (P-47D-25-RE AAF serial 42-26635) had the invasion stripes painted-out on the upper surfaces but no Red rudder.

Just trying to decide if I "need" the Red rudder: MX*X and MX*E being sister ships in the same Squadron.

Perhaps you simply opted for the (later?) Red rudder on your P-47 Thunderbolt project?

mx-e.jpg

Inquiring minds, Boompy

Edit to say: I noticed your MX*X is a P-47D-28-RE.

Wiggy,

Thanks for the comments...that's the VFS 1/24 Jug resin "test shot." it was a bit of a bear to build, but it came out ok. At the time I built it I did not have all the parts in 1/24th scale from VFS yet so I had to take a couple of liberties...there is also no IP in the pit etc. We were still in secondary engineering on the kit and not all the parts were test shot yet. EDIT: MX-X was a D-28-RE BTW.

I think I have a picture of MX X somewhere with a "colored" rudder, it's what I based the build on. But here are a couple of shots from Little Friends showing colored rudders:

mx-o2.jpg

hl-v.jpg

HTH!

Hard to say exactly on these birds. I did mine in RAF Dark Green over RAF Sky Type S. During the research it was almost impossible for me to get definitive color call outs.

Both Roger Freeman, in The Mighty Eighth (Doubleday [uSA], 1978; 310 pages) and Mighty Eighth Warpaint & Heraldry (Arms & Armour Press [uK], 1997; 160 pages), and Garry Fry, in Eagles of Duxford: The 78th Fighter Group in World War II (Phalanx [uSA], 1991; 140 pages), state unequivocally that the upper surfaces of field-camouflaged 78th FG P-47s were painted RAF Dark Green. The first and last of those books state simply that the undersurfaces were RAF Sky, whereas Freeman is less definite in Mighty Eighth Warpaint & Heraldry, stating there that "most" of the Thunderbolts in question had Sky undersurfaces.

Charles Metz

Just want you fellas to know how greatful I am for the help.

God is in the details...

So it seems I'm "on track" with the colors I've chosen.

Thanks for the solid evidence there Charles.

I don't believe MX*E had a Red rudder as the white ETO tail stripe is still completely intact- not interrupted by a "freshly" painted Red rudder.

I'll post some build pics as they become available.

TargetofOpportunity.jpg

Thanks again fellas.

Many blue skies, Wiggy

Thanks for the welcome Chris S.

I'm using the old Monogram kit for this project.

I hope I'm not booted-out of here as I build 1/48th scale.

My shelves are only so deep. ;)

Picture023.jpg

Many blue skies, Wiggy

Greetings.

I recently found this Email from Dick Hewit and wanted to share it with you.

>"I am not a paint expert but believe the models that were first in combat, B's and C's that were shipped overseas and already painted US Olive Drab. D models and especially the Bubble canopy jobs that came overseas with no paint but were left silver in color as they thought the silver would be " faster" with no paint. It was soon decided that this was of little or no advantage and the silver color was too hi Visibility in Combat. Paint was thereafter applied and since the RAF DGreen was close in supply, am guessing it was picked. Some may have been tried with the OD Green but "my guess" is the RAF was chosen to match the color the Brits were using. Who knows for sure as both were used so MX-E goes RAF Green in my memory. Underside was definitely RAF sky/blue on all models I am aware of. No blips on Freemans web site tells me it wasn't as indicated so Go For The RAF Colors. With Freeman deceased who is to argue with his expertise on the paint.

The only markings on MX-E, and it was not my assigned plane at the time I flew it on that famous date of 8/8/44, are the top hat and cane plus the two encircled swatikas. I have no info on whose plane it was at the time but I did fly it on 6-7 combat missions, per my log as well as MX-R and T. Lt H. Scholtz was in the 82nd from May til Sept '44 and it could have been assigned as his plane. I was stateside on my 30 day R&R before I started my 2nd tour. He could not have completed a tour in this short time so not sure why he left the 82nd to go back Stateside early. Records show he left; I could "guess" a few reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were no double dice on MX-E. I often have wondered how it got the ID it had so guess it still is a mystery. The serial # matches all the aerial copies I got from the RAF of that 8/8/44 flight for their recognition on the Thunderbolt. I know for 1000% certainty that I WAS THE PILOT ON THAT 8/44 day. My Form 5 and Flight Log show an 1.25 hr flight in MX-E, with that ser# on its' tail.

I am honored once again to have my credentials associated with all the MX-E models and paintings task in existence or about to become same.."<

That's "the poop" from the pilot who flew MX*E that day 8/8/44.

How 'bout that, Wiggy

• 2 weeks later...