theseeker

The best 1/32 Jet Kit?

I posted this question last night on the ARC Forum and the overwhelming response was the Tamiya F-16.

I started the preliminary work on the Tamiya F-4E today, and I am a happy camper to say the least. However, I am a big admirer of the F-14 too. Have any of you built the Tamiya F-14 and if so, please LMK what you think of the kit.

I am also a HUGE F-86 and F-104 fan, but I have seen much in favorable reviews for either kit. I would appreciate any comments regarding either of these in 1/32 form.

Thanks in advance and I never say how much I appreciate your help, I APPRECIATE IT!

BTW, the paint is just about done on the SE5a and I will post some pics tomorrow. The rigging is a pain, and I thought riveting was bad!

Cheers,

Rock

"Best" is always subjective, of course, but the Tamiya Viper is a very sweet kit from everything I've seen and read. The Tomcat is showing it's age however. Raised panel lines on much of the kit, known for a really strange gap at the wing-fold, etc. I'd wait to see what the upcoming Trumpeter Tomcat looks like before buying a Tamiya.

I think if you get Harold's corrections and upgrades for the Kinetic Sabre you have the makings of an outstanding build! Aires makes an air-brake set for it that is amazing also. I'm not familiar at all with the 104 offerings, so.. post-3154-1250382430.gif

I've got a real soft spot for the Phantom kits so it'll always be near the top of my list, warts and all. :( The Academy Hornet kits are really nice, too.

"Best" is always subjective, of course, but the Tamiya Viper is a very sweet kit from everything I've seen and read. The Tomcat is showing it's age however. Raised panel lines on much of the kit, known for a really strange gap at the wing-fold, etc. I'd wait to see what the upcoming Trumpeter Tomcat looks like before buying a Tamiya.

I think if you get Harold's corrections and upgrades for the Kinetic Sabre you have the makings of an outstanding build! Aires makes an air-brake set for it that is amazing also. I'm not familiar at all with the 104 offerings, so.. post-3154-1250382430.gif

I've got a real soft spot for the Phantom kits so it'll always be near the top of my list, warts and all. :( The Academy Hornet kits are really nice, too.

Thanks again Dave!

The Tomcat is one of my all time favorites and so is the F-86. The F-16 kit appears to be the cats pajamas, but like you the F-4 is my all time favorite.

Rocky

The F-16 is one of those planes that "looks right" just sitting on the tarmac.

North American Aviation built some of my favorite looking planes....

P-51D

F-86

F-100

X-15

I just got a Trumpeter F-100D and looking forward to building it.

The Trumpeter Mig-19 looks like a nice kit too.

The Phantom is a classic.

Jon

The definition of a 'Good Looking Airplane" is:

It looks as fast and good sitting on the ground as it does in the air!

Barry :blink:

The Tamiya F-14 Tomcat is so far the best 1/32 scale kit of the Tomcat but it requires a ton of work to make a good looking model out of it. I finished one a little over a year ago. The Cockpit is what really requires a resin set and then it's up to you how far you want to go with detail sets. I used the Teknics set and was happy with it.

Texas ;) :( :blink:

The Tamiya F-14 Tomcat is so far the best 1/32 scale kit of the Tomcat but it requires a ton of work to make a good looking model out of it. I finished one a little over a year ago. The Cockpit is what really requires a resin set and then it's up to you how far you want to go with detail sets. I used the Teknics set and was happy with it.

Texas ;) :( :blink:

That's good to here Tex as I plan to use the Teknics set 'when' I get to mine.

Barry

The Hasegawa F-104 in 1/32 has good and bad points. The wheel wells are pretty sparse on details. You will have to engrave the panel lines, the ones that are present disappear pretty easily. There are some gap issues as well, but nothing that can't be overcome.

I have 2 of the F-14 kits, and resin pits for both of them. Decals for cockpit in this scale are way screwed up.

Tamiya's F-15E is also a nice kit. Thier F-16 is a jem. The F-14 is a lot of work and half engraved, half raised panel lines. The Kenetic F-86 at first appears really clunky in the box but as Dave says with the addition of Harold's bits its a nice build. Those are the only jets I've built, I kinda prefer planes with that whirly bit up front

Cheers

Are we talking straight OB? Having built the F-4 kit more than my fair share! I'd have to say the F-4 kit is a very good and simple model to build. The F-16 kit is also a great kit and a joy to build and do have to admit looks great when done and displayed, But! You can't say enough about how the F-4 in it's many varients looks nasty on the ramp! Come to think about it! I wounder which one has had more upgrades?

Trumpeter Messerschmitt Me 262A-2a is a good one. Loads of detail, and quite 'retro' :blink:

James,

I have the 262 in the stash and it does look good.

How are you coming with the DH-2?

Rocky

Are we talking straight OB? Having built the F-4 kit more than my fair share! I'd have to say the F-4 kit is a very good and simple model to build. The F-16 kit is also a great kit and a joy to build and do have to admit looks great when done and displayed, But! You can't say enough about how the F-4 in it's many varients looks nasty on the ramp! Come to think about it! I wounder which one has had more upgrades?

The F-4E has fewer upgrades available than the C/D or the J model. I am just beginning to look at items available for the F-16.

Other than some dressing up, how is the F-104 in the basics? I'd like to do one but have spit for references, so it would be a mostly trust to OOB with surface clean ups ans little else?

The Trumpeter Me262 does have a lot going for it, but it does have some build bugs. The forward fuselage parts fit is 'eh" and the gun bay doors are not really engineered to be built closed. Similarly, the leading edge slats are, on the one hand not well engineered to be closed, but need fussy work to look good open.

A further building tip, apply some kind of spring clamps to the ENTIRE joining areas on the wings when assembling the tops to bottom, using liquid glue to melt the joints down a bit. Otherwise, everything that goes on later won't fit quite right. A further small but glaring bug is the stupid lugs and notches for an open canopy, which is awful-wrong, the canopy pivots on pins fore and aft to the front and rear canopy sections.

Lastly, assemble the engine pods and get all the clean-up done on them before you attach them to the wings.

Guest TheModeller
The definition of a 'Good Looking Airplane" is:

It looks as fast and good sitting on the ground as it does in the air!

Oh you must mean a Hawker Hunter then...