Tamiya 1/32 F-4E Questions

theseeker

I am about to start a Tamiya F-4E "Chico" build ( once I finish the SE5) and need some clarification and help.

I have the following aftermarket items for the build;

AMS Intakes, gun pods and pylons...beautiful work Harold!

True Details resin wheels

ISRA stencils for camo

Eduard interior & placards PE

SAM publications F-4 Phantom II USAAF variants

It appears that the nose is not the correct shape, any ideas?

I know that a few of you have built this kit so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, who makes good decals for the F-4?

TIA,

Rocky

Hi Rocky,

Not sure about the nose, but in terms of decals, the only maker of a Chico sheet is TwoBobs as far as I know. They make great decals so you should be in good shape there.

Have you found any cluster bombs for it?

Hope to see a thread! I want to do a Chico at some point as well....

Hi Rocky,

Not sure about the nose, but in terms of decals, the only maker of a Chico sheet is TwoBobs as far as I know. They make great decals so you should be in good shape there.

Have you found any cluster bombs for it?

Hope to see a thread! I want to do a Chico at some point as well....

Dave,

Many thanks for the decal's, I just ordered them!

Yes, I have the CB's but I cannot give away any more details, if I do I will be shot at dawn!

I can say this, Harold's intakes, pylons and gunpods are the cats pajamas!!!

Rocky

Dave,

Many thanks for the decal's, I just ordered them!

Yes, I have the CB's but I cannot give away any more details, if I do I will be shot at dawn!

I can say this, Harold's intakes, pylons and gunpods are the cats pajamas!!!

Rocky

I know! I have a set of the Chico guns and his centerline guns as well. Excellent stuff!

Wait! AMS makes intakes for the Tamiya Phantoms?!? I just checked his site and I did not see them.. are they out of production?

Gary V.

Gary,

I am not sure regarding the intakes. I ordered mine about a year back and they are beautiful to say the least.

Send Harold an e-mail and let him know what you want. At the time of my order, the Chico items were not posted on his website.

He is outstanding to work with. He hooked me up with some other great people too!

HTH

Rocky

I don't have the intakes, I have the FOD protection covers.

I think the D-mold intakes will fill the bill it you don't want them covered.

Cheers,

Harold

I have both Harold's FOD covers and the D-mold intakes and I can say that they are both masterfully done.

I am about to start a Tamiya F-4E "Chico" build ( once I finish the SE5) and need some clarification and help.

I have the following aftermarket items for the build;

AMS Intakes, gun pods and pylons...beautiful work Harold!

True Details resin wheels

ISRA stencils for camo

Eduard interior & placards PE

SAM publications F-4 Phantom II USAAF variants

It appears that the nose is not the correct shape, any ideas?

I know that a few of you have built this kit so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, who makes good decals for the F-4?

TIA,

Rocky

Rocky,

From what I've seen the Tamiya F-4E nose is more correct than either Revell's or Cutting Edge's. They even give you both the early short and late Midas long gun muzzles. There are only three real issues with Tamiya's F-4s, the raised battle damage repair patches molded on the fuselage, the under size J-79-10 exhaust nozzles in the F-4E, F-4EJ and F-4J kits and the air intake trunks. You can remove the BDR patches if they bother you by sanding down the BDR panels and then rescribing the panel lines. As for the undersize exhaust nozzles CAM makes the only accurately sized exhaust nozzles. They are larger at the rear end than the ones done by Tamiya, Cutting Edge or Aries. If you can't locate a set another option for the exhaust nozzles is to cut the feathers off of the Tamiya set and then to glue the Tamiya inside to a set of Revell outer nozzles. Then you add the Eduard PE exhaust set to the Tamiya/Revell composite nozzles.

As for the intakes, you can go the Dmold, Seamless Suckers route or you can fix them yourself.

e4b8f512.jpg

b0177e71.jpg

Resulting in:

Tamiya_F4J_031.jpg

In addition to the raised panels, AB nozzles, and the intakes, the only other thing on the kit that really needs attention are the outer wing panels. They're angled upward too much. I just cut out a cardboard template based on a front view drawing and used it to set the panels at the correct angle.

Ben

Nautilus Models offers a jig you can use to set the outer wing panel dihedrals and the horizontal stabilizer anhedral angles perfectly. I've got one and can't imagine building a Tamiya Phantom without one.

Do you have a link?