1/24 Trumpeter A6M-2N "Rufe"

LSP_K2

Are you going to remove the excess first? I would do it on the national markings at least, as that may end up looking stupid if it isn't toned down!

Kev

Didn't mean to ignore you Kev. Yes, absolutely washes would have to removed. The above is the result. Actually the dark green was almost entirely removed from the national insignia, leaving just a trace of filth whose color is indiscernible. There are many, many small flaws; this will not be a contest winner, but at least it'll be finished! As stated elsewhere (I don't recall where), I haven't really finished a bigger project like this in over ten years, so I'll just be happy as a hog in a wallow to get it done! :speak_cool:

That is one stunning model you have there! Any plans for a diorama or base? Would look amazing half beached with some of that Magic Water in the background that the model railroad guys use.

Yes, I’ll be using the OOB beaching dolly on a simulated concrete base. There’s a picture of it starting on post #13

Didn't mean to ignore you Kev. Yes, absolutely washes would have to removed. The above is the result. Actually the dark green was almost entirely removed from the national insignia, leaving just a trace of filth whose color is indiscernible. There are many, many small flaws; this will not be a contest winner, but at least it'll be finished! As stated elsewhere (I don't recall where), I haven't really finished a bigger project like this in over ten years, so I'll just be happy as a hog in a wallow to get it done! :)

Well, I think it's an awesome model mate, and you'll be justifiably proud when it's done. The weathering is looking spot-on.

Kev

Well, I think it's an awesome model mate, and you'll be justifiably proud when it's done. The weathering is looking spot-on.

Kev

Ditto on that dude...........Ive got the Tamy A6M2 and MDCs Rufe conversion and Ive got this thread saved for reference on weathering and float washes and what-not.

Looks awesome. :)

Cheers,

Brian

Superlative work Kevin, absolutely marvellous. I am dying to see the end and how you are going to weather it even further. It is far from looking new. you have achieved a high degree of weathering but kept the plane looking good and not overdone, excellent work.

Superlative work Kevin, absolutely marvellous. I am dying to see the end and how you are going to weather it even further. It is far from looking new. you have achieved a high degree of weathering but kept the plane looking good and not overdone, excellent work.

Thanks Brian, quite a compliment coming from you. Most final weathering will be once model is 100% complete; some subtle oil washes, and some worn metal areas, perhaps some pastels here and yon. At the moment, I'm having quite a lot of fun with my Fokker, so I'll wrap this one up along the way when the mood strikes. At least now I believe that all the worst is behind me. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Aha! You thought I had forgotten about this one didn’t you? While I have all this time on my hands, I think I’ll go ahead and finish this puppy. There is so little remaining to do that it’s shameful not to have it in my display case.

Nip005.jpg

I remember this one! Wondered what happened. Glad to see it again, and glad you decided to finish. It is a lovely looking build!......Harv :speak_cool:

• 1 month later...

Amongst the several hobby related things I accomplished tonight, I repainted the base for this. I was not happy at all with the way I had done it earlier. I think this is now more acceptable looking, though it doesn’t photograph very well. Slowly but surely. Perhaps I’ll get this in the “ready for inspection” area after all.

Base.jpg

She's a beaut.

I always thought one of these would look great on a base representing some backwater, bypassed Pacific Island, heavily weathered and maybe even half sunk or beached.

Nice!

Cheers

Jason

At the time I began this,the idea of modeling water intimidated me, so I chose this route. I managed to get at least a little bit done on this effort today, and I also managed to spill lacquer thinner on one edge of the base;... more painting fun ahead. Base looks somewhat barren, so I decided to add some barrels and stuff. They're US barrels, but I don't consider that to be a big deal.

Barrels002.jpg