1/24 Trumpeter A6M-2N "Rufe"

LSP_K2

Cowl was painted with Gunze tire black straight out of the bottle, then some very dark grey and black pastels smeared around, scrapes and dings added with dark grey pencil, (cowl still not finished).

Kevin

Kevin,

My only critique of your build is the cowling color. The color should have a touch of blue in it. WEM makes a perfect match or you can mix flat black with a few drops of midnight blue.

You are doing such a great build that I believe you should leave no stone unturned!

Rocky

Kevin I am building the same kit just the A6M2 version and the kit really does go together very well.I think it's one of Trumps better kits I have built thus far and you are doing a bang up job on your Rufe there.The only part that I had fits with was the mating of the engine correctly in my build(my mistake not Trumps) which I finally overcame.Anyway she is looking really nice Sir.Cheers Kevin

Kevin,

My only critique of your build is the cowling color. The color should have a touch of blue in it. WEM makes a perfect match or you can mix flat black with a few drops of midnight blue.

You are doing such a great build that I believe you should leave no stone unturned!

Rocky

I may well follow your advice regarding cowl; thanks. My biggest issue will be the fuselage color(s), I've chosen; I absolutely can’t stand IJN green, so I’m using a dark green base as an alternative. Technically inaccurate, but ultimately, I have to be pleased with appearance.

Kevin

Kevin I am building the same kit just the A6M2 version and the kit really does go together very well.I think it's one of Trumps better kits I have built thus far and you are doing a bang up job on your Rufe there.The only part that I had fits with was the mating of the engine correctly in my build(my mistake not Trumps) which I finally overcame.Anyway she is looking really nice Sir.Cheers Kevin

I had the exact same problem. I believe I followed the instructions properly, but engine front ended up rotated about 15 degrees or so. I don’t really recall exactly what my fix was, but it ended up with everything aligned to my satisfaction.

Kevin

Bottom painted and some preliminary weathering applied . This has been dull coated to protect the pastels while I paint upper fuselage area. I really wanted to add bombs to this plane, but bomb racks are so cheesy, I elected not to.

post-8159-1251075106.jpg

Kevin,

Very nice weathering, subtle and believable.

What did you decide about the cowl? If you don't want to mix, I have an extra WEM Mitsu Cowling on the shelf. Send a PM if interested.

Rocky

I have sprayed cowling with Gunze clear blue. It doesn’t really show up in the photos, but gives a nice bluish cast to cowl from certain angles.

Rivets lost during sanding of wing to fuselage have been replaced with 0.3 mm drafting pencil. Only those rivets lost have been replaced using this method; all others will be accented with a darker grey wash.

post-8159-1251252820.jpg

Splotchy appearance has been achieved by spattering dark grey and black pastels on airframe, then blending with a large, soft brush. Some scuffs and dings have been added with pencil. Entire bottom still to receive wash, (soon I hope).

post-8159-1251252897.jpg