Huey Helicopter/ ITS DONE/FINISHED YEEEAAAHHH!!!!

shark64

Luckily, I don't think anyone will notice the mistakes the rest of your amazing work. It's one of those models if I saw at a show I would have to spend an hour looking at, just marveling at all of the tiny details.

I doubt you could have anything that isn't a forte. Considering the level of everything else, I'm sure that your clear parts will still be better than anything I can accomplish

Keep up the great work Oliver. I'm really enjoying it.

Matt :party0023:

Hi Matt

Thanks for nice words.

Oliver

Thanks matt.

fire extinguisher was fun to build. i did however messed up with the metal foil on the toolboox so I had to strip the metal foil and paint again.

There are two areas on the rivets that I could not fix the silvering of the rivets....oh well.

Next is dealing with clear parts, not my forte.

Oliver

Oliver

"...not my forte"... so that means it will only be perfect. Oh the pain.

Oliver,

Like everyone else who has followed this thread I am inspired by your building. I can see how some things are done, can guess at others and assume the rest is done by modelling fairies, smoke, magic & mirrors. But could I ask you some very personal questions: Firstly, is your job related to modelling ie. are you an engineer? Secondly, what is your modelling background? You don't start with work of this quality, you have to be like us and start at the bottom somewhere? Thirdly, are you an artist as well? The reason I ask is that you have a keen eye for not only content (and interpretation) but also colour, composition and texture. Next a suggestion - change your red 'Runway Ahead' sign. To me, I see it as "You are on Taxiway Bravo, ahead of this sign is runway 01L-08R". But that is a curved runway. It is therefore 01L-19R or 08R-26L. And I can't see why the military wouldn't do heavy maintenance on taxiway. The men with spanners prefer to work inside away from active runways, but that's not always possible. Now a request - would you include a little more technique in your posts? Like many others I'm sure, I would like to improve scratch building skills and whilst trial and error works, being led and taught by a expert such as yourself has to be the most efficient way forward.

Lastly, you have inspired me to improve my accuracy and do more scratch building - Thank you.

Trevor

Dear Trevor,

Than

Oliver,

Like everyone else who has followed this thread I am inspired by your building. I can see how some things are done, can guess at others and assume the rest is done by modelling fairies, smoke, magic & mirrors. But could I ask you some very personal questions: Firstly, is your job related to modelling ie. are you an engineer? Secondly, what is your modelling background? You don't start with work of this quality, you have to be like us and start at the bottom somewhere? Thirdly, are you an artist as well? The reason I ask is that you have a keen eye for not only content (and interpretation) but also colour, composition and texture. Next a suggestion - change your red 'Runway Ahead' sign. To me, I see it as "You are on Taxiway Bravo, ahead of this sign is runway 01L-08R". But that is a curved runway. It is therefore 01L-19R or 08R-26L. And I can't see why the military wouldn't do heavy maintenance on taxiway. The men with spanners prefer to work inside away from active runways, but that's not always possible. Now a request - would you include a little more technique in your posts? Like many others I'm sure, I would like to improve scratch building skills and whilst trial and error works, being led and taught by a expert such as yourself has to be the most efficient way forward.

Lastly, you have inspired me to improve my accuracy and do more scratch building - Thank you.

Trevor

Dear Trevor,

Thank you for your kind words. No, I'm not an engineer, and I consider all modelers artists. I do work in the movie industry, which some consider an artistic field ; ). I sometimes take creative license over realistic accuracy for that reason. I always appreciate knowing the way it would be done in real life, but sometimes I'm going to override that when I feel that I need a pop of color or something of that nature. I started modeling as a kid and then when I was in my teens I got interested in other things so I quit. About 12 years ago I decided to start back again. About 8 years ago I entered a competition for fun and I got a lot of negative feedback. When I countered that with a plea for help I was told that I would never be a top modeler anyway so why bother. From that I vowed to get better, but also to be more positive and share anything I've learned along the way. If you have any particular question about anything I'll do my best to try to answer. I'm so honored that someone is inspired by my work.

Oliver

Update

Finished the toolboox and started on primer on top fuselage. Painted around overhead windows in black first so I wont have any surprised once I glue and mask windows. I should be adding windows this weekend.

I am also trying to position the best way all the pieces in the diorama. There are so many items to work with and I have never positioned so many. Trying to find the right balance .

Fair to say that the last stage of the Huey has begun

Oliver

019_zps3d37a4ef.jpg

031_zps482764f6.jpg

036_zpsee000f84.jpg

039_zpsa816c0d7.jpg

041_zpsf04a856f.jpg

Thanks guys.

Today applying clear resin to overhead windows then I'll try to glue those in place and a second coat of resin mixed with Tamiya clear green to seal everything off.

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Photobucket is down for another 2 days till it resets itself then I will be able to post the progress photos.

Heres whats done as of today.

Second window installed and applied clear resin to it.

Future front windshield and lower windows and attached one lower window . I lost one set of tail rotor pedals so painting a new set so hold on second window.

Preshaded the tailboom in black and constructed a step ladder/steptool in brass(saw a photo next to a Cobra) and had to do it.

Oliver

Check that out. Each new update is more flabbergasting than the previous. How is that possible?

What did you use as a grate?

Do you have a name for your AH-1 publication in the background? I would be sorely appreciative if I knew its name.

Many thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark