Jump to content
branchline

A6M3 Zero Type 22

Recommended Posts

Okay, final Master's paper done, now into the modelling again, along of course with all the domestic chores and tasks I haven't done for the last 6 months...

 

I didn't have any 32 scale Japanese kits in my stash and couldn't find any in the local model shops so was leaving this to fate as to whether I would A, finish my paper and B, wander across a 32 scale Japanese 32nd scale kit somewhere. After several missed bids on TradeMe (our NZ version of EBay) I was stranded in Brisbane for a night in mid March and found HobbyCo on the Sunday morning. I walked out with a 21st Century Bf109F2/4, a Revell Bf109G4 Trop and a 21st Century A6M3 Zero...

 

So all I had to do was complete the Master's paper - which I have so here is my very late entry for this group build.

 

It won't be an OOB as I've ordered and received some Eduard etch kits to provide some additional detail and also I'll give riviting a bash as well.

 

The basic kit looks okay and seems to conform to the Zero outline but is a little clunky in places. The cockpit 'tub' is modelled on the Tamiya one I would guess as it has a number of keyed faces for levers etc in the same form and location as the Tamiya kit but the levers are not included as parts in this kit!

 

The engine and cockpit should make up okay with a little brass work and additional details but the wheel wells and u/c require some work. The control surfaces will come off too.

 

That's me for the night, I'm on a tight timeframe but should be able to do this.

 

Somemore tomorrow.

 

Regards

 

Brent

post-4396-1246795317.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the GB Brent! Looks a decent little kit. You're quite right about the cockpit too - it's most definitely a simplified copy of the one in the Tamiya kit. Did you prime all the components already, or is the plastic already in that darkish grey colour? My kit comes in a horrible translucent white plastic...

 

Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Kev,

 

No that's the kit plastic colour (note the sheen on the righthand wing panel). The plastic is workable soft but of the type that seems to mould 'clunky'. What I haven't shown is that the upper left mainplane has not formed correctly (suspect the mould or possibly the plastic was cooler than ideal) not a biggy, just a bit more work! More progress and pics tonight...

 

Regards

 

Brent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That went together very quickly! Are you just using normal styrene cement?

21st Century kits are cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Allok, no its just clipped together in this image - no glue just yet.

 

Here's some more images with the latest progress (had a fellow Kiwi modeller from New York pop in tonight unexpectidly so that interupted my 'flow'...a train modeller of course).

 

What I've done to date is cut the control surfaces off (rudder still to come) and dry assembled the cockpit tub into the fuselage to identify what can be seen so I know what to add (and leave out).

 

The etches I bought are on the cutting mats and the plan is to use the cooling flaps, the ignition harness leads, the cylinder head etches for the front row of cylinders only for the engine. I'll also replace the cowl latches.

 

For the cockpit I'll add the seat adjusting brackets, pulleys and cable and some cabling in the cockpit plus rudder pedals. Also the etch detailed instrument panels and throttle quadrant.

 

As I indicated a bit of work in the wheel wells and oleo department, that's down track.

 

Regards

 

Brent

post-4396-1246881453.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×