Hobbycraft Sea Fury

Mr Creosote

My intention with this kit is to build it "Out Of The Box" in accordance with current IPMS/USA standards. Basically I am just curious to see what this kit looks like built like that. I wonder what I can do with it.

Most of the basic bits after clean up. The tail wheel had a sink mark that needed a bit of filler and attention. Everything else is just basic. I think right now too basic especially for a 32nd scale kit.

HobbyCraftSeaFury031.jpg

Port side of the fuselage. The break down of the assembly allows you to slip the cockpit tub after the fuselage halfs are assembled.

HobbyCraftSeaFury029.jpg

The starboard side. Duct tape has soo many uses. ;)

HobbyCraftSeaFury030.jpg

The forward fuselage showing the rescribing I needed to do after smoothing out the join. The lower fuselage needed the same work. Of course,it may have very well been poor technique on my part. You results may vary.

HobbyCraftSeaFury025.jpg

The dreaded canopy. It looks marginally OK in side view ,I think. It falls apart looking at in plan view,straight down, and it still has a nasty mold seam. It is just goofy looking. Ah and the real sweet thing about it is,the canopy frame work is molded inside the piece. It take some sanding and polishing on this bit to try to make it reasonable.

HobbyCraftSeaFury026.jpg

HobbyCraftSeaFury027.jpg

HobbyCraftSeaFury028.jpg

RD

Moving on to the wings now. The wheel wheel insert was pre-painted and weathered before gluing to the lower wing. The wheel well "lip" on the lower wing was cut in with color as well. The wing panels fit up was just OK. There were areas of the join that required some filling before it could be smoothed out properly. CA was used for this application. The wing light bits,which were molded in the gray plastic [WTF?] did not fit well at all. Neither did port wing leading edge mystery part "E29". All three of these areas were liberally hit with CA and after they were dry,sanded out. Also filled was the starboard wing's matching mystery panel. The wing tip lights will be painted in later. Note also the wing center section is painted black in order to kill any bare plastic showing through on the completed model.

AvantiRadiator189.jpg

AvantiRadiator188.jpg

HobbyCraftSeaFury022.jpg

HobbyCraftSeaFury016.jpg

Part E29. Poor fit. Uffa.

AvantiRadiator194AA.jpg

Much more gooder now.

HobbyCraftSeaFury017.jpg

More poor fit.

HobbyCraftSeaFury018.jpg

Same here.

AvantiRadiator195.jpg

AvantiRadiator196.jpg

Put right. Its hard to tell because the CA appears clear.

AvantiRadiator191.jpg

The unpainted "squares" mate to similiar "squares" on the fuselage. A dry fit shows this will make a solid join once fitted. Hey,whattya know,a bright spot!

More to come in a week or so.

RD

Richard,You're off to a great start I'll be keeping an eye on this one, good luck !!!!we'll be watching and waiting to see it completed Hope you don't run into anything warped :ph34r:

Ed B)

Thanks Ed. No warped parts in this one. I have reshaped the canopy as much as it can be,or at least as much as I can, to try to get it into something resembling a Sea Fury hood. Now I am in the process of buffing out the sanding scratches,a slow process for sure. :ph34r:

RD

Richard,You're off to a great start I'll be keeping an eye on this one, good luck !!!!we'll be watching and waiting to see it completed Hope you don't run into anything warped B)

Ed B)

• 1 month later...

A small update on the build. The cockpit parts are painted and nearly ready for offering up. I will need to flat coat the lot and then add gloss to the instrument faces. The seat belts are lead foil with small black circles punched out of decal film and added to simulate the grommets. The canopy has had its framing sanded off and will be added back as correct as is possible with strips of painted decal film. It does need some more polishing but is very close to ready. It will be doused with Future/Klear before adding to the fuselage.

AirfixSpitfireBuildLongShoalsRoa-6.jpg

AirfixSpitfireBuildLongShoalsRoa-5.jpg

I'll update as time allows.

RD