SBD-3?

Bozzaroo

Hi guys,

I have this photo (hope it's okay to post it here?) of what I understand is a SBD-3, that I would really like to try and build. Now is it a SBD-3 or a SBD-3/4 and what's the difference between them if any? Also the Eduard has a BIG Ed for SBD-3/4 would that fit to the Trumpeter SBD-3?

Also for you in the know - is the plane on the pic a US navy or US marines plane? For some reason I have the idea it's has marines markings but i have no idea to be honest ..

Need to find pilot figures to match as I just love the look of the gunner and is that sun glasses he's wearing??

post-4370-1245727615.jpg

~Bozz

I just love the look of the gunner and is that sun glasses he's wearing??

~Bozz

Me too, Elbow out the window, one hand on the wheel...

He won't be quite so relaxed with a Zero on his tail!

Hi guys,

I have this photo (hope it's okay to post it here?) of what I understand is a SBD-3, that I would really like to try and build. Now is it a SBD-3 or a SBD-3/4 and what's the difference between them if any? Also the Eduard has a BIG Ed for SBD-3/4 would that fit to the Trumpeter SBD-3?

Also for you in the know - is the plane on the pic a US navy or US marines plane? For some reason I have the idea it's has marines markings but i have no idea to be honest ..

Need to find pilot figures to match as I just love the look of the gunner and is that sun glasses he's wearing??

post-4370-1245727615.jpg

~Bozz

Hi Bozz

Yes, it is a a SBD -3 and not a SBD-4 what's the difference? Look at the aircraft spinner carried by SBD 3's which

had adjustable pitch propeller-Other give away is twin .3 cal MG's, only used from SBD 3's-SBD 5's

(for the purist types, yes early SBD 3's did use single .3 MG, but these were often field modified to twins)See photo

SBD3.jpg

The SBD-4 had a Hamiliton Standard Hydramatic propeller without spinner see photo

SBD4.jpg

The aircraft are probably Navy (I say probably as in war anythings possible*) as the aircraft has the hard

rubber tail wheel used by USN aircraft. If it were Marine then it would have the pnuematic type tyre

used on land (really necessary for landing on PSP runways, the Navy rubber tyre tended to be shredded by

the PSP).

You'll notice also that the fairing around the tail wheel has been removed which was often (but not always) indicative

of land based aircraft*

Confused already????.... Definitely SBD 3 and most probably Navy

The pilot and gunner are most likely wearing "smoked" glass flying goggles which were a real necessity in the Pacific

for cutting down glare :lol:

The aircraft are probably on a training/transfer flight, you'll notice the gunner has his guns stowed,

so no probable danger and for the really close scrutinizers you'll see no bomb on cradle

Hope that helps you

Regards

Alan

Great picture. For pilot and gunner figures, you could do a lot worse than try to get hold of a couple of 21st Century figures from their Corsair, I haven't seen the pilot from that kit, but I have from a few others and there is no better. You could post a request on the Trader's Board.

Folks,

Don't Marine Corps aircraft have red borders on the national insignia?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark

I have a photo in one of my books that has a Marine SBD 4 with similar markings to the above,

and no red border..

The only time I know of red borders, was with the change to 4 tone camouflage and star and bar

with the short lived red border late 1943-early 1944

Do you have any aditional info on this?

Thanks

Alan

Don't Marine Corps aircraft have red borders on the national insignia?

No. As stated by Alan, that was an interm style that didn't last long. And, that red-bordered style of insignia was for ALL US forces.

post-30-1245786120.jpg

Also the Eduard has a BIG Ed for SBD-3/4 would that fit to the Trumpeter SBD-3?

Yes. That little / means that the set in question will fit either the -3 or -4 kits. :lol:

HTH,

D

Thanks for the info Alan, a 3 it is then .. (with the trumpeter kits does the 3/4 mean it can be built as either then?!)

A few more questions .. looking at the pic it does look like the colour under the blue on the wing is yellow, would/could that mean it did have yellow wings before or is that just the quality of the 70 year old photo.

The fading of the top wing markings - does anyone do decals like that, I seen on some of the Chines flying tigers you get option to do sun faded or not.

~Bozz

Bozz,

As I recall, the Trumpeter kit has the parts for the -4. I think it was the prop as previously mentioned and the carb intake on the cowling was different as well. Not 100% sure though. For mine I used the Yellow Wings Midway insignia and stencil set. They were a lot better than the kit decals. The blue around the stars was not faded but also not as severe as the Trumpeter decals. I would think a little pastel chalk or some acrylic clear flat might fade them nicely. Those faded SBD's sure look cool.

Good luck.

Matt

Thanks Matt

Saw that yellowwing has a stecil sheet for SBD 1/2/3 as well - but no matter how much I look at the picture I can't actually see any so maybe I just leave those alone.

'The only time I know of red borders, was with the change to 4 tone camouflage and star and bar

with the short lived red border late 1943-early 1944

Do you have any aditional info on this?'

Thanks Alan.

I don't know anything about this. I usually build armor,

from which I'm taking a sabbatical, and building a few aircraft.

Sincerely,

Mark