Superglue

Question...... does anyone know of anything that would work on superglue to weaken it. I used to use this stuff called Glue Zapper to loose up the old glue bonds on my rebuilds, but that was on the old tube glues, not superglue.

Geez, I never thought I'd be contemplating rebuilding my newer stuff :lol:

:o Ian

Try FRESH pineapple juice not tined when I started using the stuff in the 60's the manufactures told us about this it's anenzyme reation which weakens the bonding chain. I used it once but not for years.

Mike M. is right on the money. You did not say if the glue had already set-up and you wanted to "un-set" it. If "debonding" the glue is what you want, follow Mike's advice and use a debonder for CA glue.....they come by many names and most hobby shops carry it. Not to knock water or pineapple juice or any kind of juice, but the only effective means of debonding CA is to use a debonder, designed to do the job. Of course, they make the stuff for crazies like us who make goofs and gaffs when we glue-up little plastic things. You are NOT alone, mate.

Bails-In-Minnesota

Bails,

I've heard of Pace Debonder, but i wasn't sure if it would work on disassembling built aircraft. Since i found all the cool aftermarket stuff thru LSP, I've been contemplating tearing apart some of the kits I built about 10 years ago when i first started using super glue and filler putty. The thing I'm afraid of is tearing up the kits so bad I can't rebuild them. It was no big deal when all I used is the old Testors tube glues. Different now.

I know, a lot of you guys are probably saying "Why not just buy a new kit?" Well, the kit I'm thinking about improving was the old Revell Dora that was my first plane that I painted with an airbrush, so I'm kind of attatched to it. :blink:

Another reason is, I just hate to get rid of good plastic :lol:

Well, thanks for the tips,

Cheers, Ian

Hi again Ian, my limited experience with the debonder is that

it does 'soften' the plastic at the glued joint, so there will likely

be some clean up work required after the debonding occurs.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...so I'd recommend debonding something else as practice.

Mike, Yeah, I 've had that happen. I was rebuilding a 72nd A-7 and when I went to strip the parts, the plastic disintegrated :blink:

I've also read somewhere that if you freeze the model, it does something to the superglue, and it comes apart without breaking. I can't remember where I read that............... :lol:

Cheers, Ian

Superglue can be debonded with Acetone.

However, I would not recommend that you use full strength Acetone as this will damage the plastic. Nail Polish remover has a low concentration of acetone and I would recommend that you use this.

Andriyko

Thanks for the tips guys. I've used my wife's nail polish remover to unglue myself from my work ;)

Never thought about using it to debond the plastic........hhhhhmmmm.

Cheers, Ian