USAF F-4 Cockpit

Barry

We have a D model located at the Mighty Eight Air force Museum here in Savannah and I have been trying to get them

to let me open up the canopies and shoot some pics.

I know it is stripped for the most part and that is exacting the kind of photos I need.

But thus far they have resisted sighting liability concerns and possible not being able to get canopies to relock.

I assured them that if I could not I know several Phantom Mechs that surely could.

Barry

Barry

how far do you live from that museum. my wife and i were in that museum when 9 11 happened, the manager came and got us after the first plane hit, then we were watching from the managers office when the second plane hit the towers. i was doing a money raising photo shoot of the B-47 at the time, in early morning before everyone got there.

glen

We have a D model located at the Mighty Eight Air force Museum here in Savannah and I have been trying to get them

to let me open up the canopies and shoot some pics.

I know it is stripped for the most part and that is exacting the kind of photos I need.

But thus far they have resisted sighting liability concerns and possible not being able to get canopies to relock.

I assured them that if I could not I know several Phantom Mechs that surely could.

Barry

They have an F-4 in the main floor. I have to check and see what it is. I can get into anything they have. I just e-mail the curator. It may be a good one to photo shoot. I do have some shots from a ladder, but that limits the details.

http://www.sprucegoose.org/index.html

Barry

how far do you live from that museum. my wife and i were in that museum when 9 11 happened, the manager came and got us after the first plane hit, then we were watching from the managers office when the second plane hit the towers. i was doing a money raising photo shoot of the B-47 at the time, in early morning before everyone got there.

glen

15 minutes by Mustang!

Barry

They have an F-4 in the main floor. I have to check and see what it is. I can get into anything they have. I just e-mail the curator. It may be a good one to photo shoot. I do have some shots from a latter, but that limits the details.

http://www.sprucegoose.org/index.html

Harold, that would be great.

Howdy Barry, I am in Washington above Seattle. Nice going on the tubs. I did some AM bashing a while ago with the Revell F-4E in mind. I ended up with many of the Revell "Mig Killer" kits and RF-4c's, and figured I could cast copies for all of them. I modified the BB tubs to fit Revell, used the Revell inst. panels, Model Technologies sills, Tamiya HUD/coaming with scratched radar, TD seats with modified belts, scratched rear sill, etc.

I need to get going on one of these kits sometime to use this stuff instead of it all sitting in the box!

A good tip for making a hardwing (Vietnam) E is to use the outer wing from the RF-4C. I reworked the tip lights, and added the doubler plates, etc.

Anyway, to operate the canopies (been 18 years since I last did it) click the small release tab on the verticle lock handle (I think it has "push" molded in it) at the rear left of the canopies. The handle should pop out. Push the round "open" button in firmly to cycle the valve. Since they normally operated pneumatically, this may not be necessary. Rotate the lock handle (aft I think) to unlock the rollers. Once canopy pops open, manually lift it with someone on the other side to assist you. If you have the red actuator safety lock, place it around the actuator at the rear of canopy, or use a long prop rod instead to hold open canopy. Locking should be opposite. Without air, your assistant will have to push down, or sit on the canopy while you use the lock handle to reengage the rollers. Wow, I can feel and hear it all now!

Last time I touched an active Phantom was at the Castle AFB Farewell airshow in 1995. The Idaho Guard Weasel pilots wanted to go home but couldn't get the drag chute into the tail, so I stuffed it showing them the correct cord folding trick (I wonder how well it worked?). Good luck with casting it all, and keep us posted!

Erik.

Man! nice ride. I've always been a Mustang man but the early Cameros were sweeeeet!

That's the look Chevy should have went for instead of the Transformer look! :ph34r:

My first car was a Red 66 Mustang, I had it until I let a younger brother drive it while I was in Germany.

It ended bad for my car :( So I bought me an Red 05. :)

Barry

that is my ride when wife not with me. (no AC ).

when we ride together i use her SUV or my ride 2, an 88' Motorsport Mustang GT convertible. i hate her 06' Vette, to plush. :ph34r: